Thread: Attending a PIP Tribunal

Attending a PIP Tribunal

I've been helping my brother with his PIP claim. He has Epilepsy, Mental Health issues as well as early onset dementia. The tribunal date for his PIP appeal is next week. Initially we requested a paper hearing as my brother felt he could not cope with a tribunal but later changed it to an oral hearing as the general advice was it would be better to attend. However he's starting to have panic attacks and has not been too well. My worry is if he is not able to attend will his claim be cancelled? Also he keeps asking me if I can go and speak to the tribunal for him if he can't attend, is this even possible?
    Thank you

I would ring the Clerk of the Court, his/her number should be on the tribunal appointment letter.

Explain the situation and ask his/her advice.

The court clerks are usually very helpful and have seen many problems like this before.

If nothing else it will inform the court that he may be unable to attend so if he doesn't turn up they will know why, they could then decide to go ahead on the paperwork only, or may adjourn to a later date.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'd agree with Nukecad .. The court clerks are usually far more friendly, and professional than anyone from the DWP or its dodgy contractors

Certainly when I had my tribunal I was halfway between changing hospitals and moving house, so had to communicate with them several times.

If costs are incurred you can claim them back, but you DO need to inform the courts first, and ask for the form on the day.
    Again that info should be on the letter from the tribunal services.

Luck and hope.

J

i would urge your bro to attend if he possibly can. They want to hear from him direct (even he's a wreck getting there). They aren't too bothered to hear what others have to say in support, even if you are next of kin.