Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing Benefit - Change of Circumstances - Trigger UC?

Housing Benefit - Change of Circumstances - Trigger UC?

Been in receipt of full HB and CT due to being on IR ESA but my ex-husband moved back in recently due to a terminal cancer diagnosis. DWP have informed me that I no longer qualify for IR ESA but have been awarded CB ESA (in support group). I understand that I will have to contact my LHA to inform them of change in income. Does anyone know if this will trigger a new claim for Universal Credit or simply an adjustment to my current claim for Housing Benefit?

it is not a new claim, just a change to your EXISTING claim, so as far as I know there is no need to be moved to UC

if they try and insist you do - Nukecad has a very useful link which you can dangle under their noses!!

Thank you walker. Could you point me in the right direction so I can locate the useful link which may come in handy?

sorry I am not sure where it is, but I have no doubt Nukecad will be along later and will post it for you,
    but first off, approach you local council - they may/should not have any issue with the change anyway

Hi ditzee,

AS said this is just a change of circumstances to an existing HB claim so there is no need for a new claim (so no need for a UC claim).

If they start arguing that you have to claim UC then use this memo from the DWP to Local Authorities:
    Annex A lists the circumstances in which a new UC claim needs to be made, it does not include your circumstances.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-authorities
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

and in gallops Nukecad on his white stallion, to save the day

Never ridden an 'os in my life.

Think as a toddler I was once perched on a donkey on Blackpool beach.

Oddly enough at one time I used to design horse trailers. (So learned what awkward buggers they can be).

Hi Nukecad
    Received a new calculation of housing benefit today and was gobsmacked to find the weekly benefit has reduced by £75 per week. On top of that I have to pay back an overpayment of £899 as it took the DWP over 12 weeks to calculate my revised benefit despite the fact I completed all relevant forms by the second week of September! I have asked LHA for a breakdown of this payment as I am unsure as to whether or not any disability premium has been applied due to my spouse receiving enhanced PIP. Completed an on-line application for Carers Allowance yesterday.

IBTW I was born in Blackpool and have ridden a few donkeys whilst growing up there lol and know how uncomfortable it is lol

At least they have accepted it's still HB and not tried to push you to UC.

It sounds as if they may be counting your partners IIDB as income, I'm not sure if they should be doing that or not with HB?

I guess you need that breakdown to see just what they have done, and if there are mistakes then challenge it.

I've just checked and income from IIDB will affect Housing Benefit, so it's quite possible that is why the HB has been reduced.

I suggest that you apply to your council for a Discretionary Housing Payment to cover this reduction whilst your partner is still living with you.
    These can be awarded for various things, and can be either a lump sum (to pay off your overpayment) and/or an ongoing weekly amount.
    They are discretionary as the name says, but with your partners terminal diagnosis you should stand a good chance.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...using-payments