Thread: ESA CB to UC

ESA CB to UC

I have been on ESA CB since migration from IB in 2013.

Recently they looked at my claim and I was awarded back payment and a small weekly top up.

My question is, ESA CB are not being transferred to UC, ESA IR are, would I be transferred to UC?

Regards.

someone more knowledgeable will be on soon to give you an answer, but from what i know you will and you wont, your IR will move to UC but your CB will stay separate from uc.

I can't answer your question but well done on getting some back pay .No matter how big or small the money is it's better in your pocket than DWPs

ESA CB is not lined up to be made into UC. There may be an IR component though........but no automatic transfer to UC for anyone on ESA CB.

As said CB benefits are not being migrated to UC, it's only IR benefits that get migrated.

So those, like yourself, who have CB ESA with an IR ESA 'top-up' (the disability premiums) will have the IR part migrated but not the CB part.

But be careful, we suspect that when it come your turn to migrate they will just say that you have to 'close your IR ESA claim' without explaining that you have both CB and IR and that you don't have to close the CB part.
    (They can't close your CB ESAin favour of UC themselves, but can try to trick you into closing it yourself).
    We haven't seen the wording of any letters yet, it will only be when the start the pilot migrations that we will start to see them.

When it's time for you to managed migrate you can close the CB part yourself and just claim UC instead if you want to.
    There are pros and cons, if you keep your CB ESA open it is not affected by any savings or a partners income, if you close it in favour of UC you only have one claim to deal with.
    (I've had assurances in a FoI reply that if you have both benefits, CB ESA and UC Limited Capability, any WCA reassessment you have will apply to both. You won't need seperate assessments for both ESA and UC).
    The choice is yours, but as said be careful that they don't try and 'trick' you into closing CB ESA when you don't want to.

If you keep your CB ESA open then it continues to be paid fortnightly, but the money paid will be deducted £ for £ from your monthly UC payments.

A similar thing will happen to those who only have CB ESA but also have Housing Benefit (or Child Tax Credit, etc.).
    Their HB (CTC,etc.) will migrate to UC but the CB ESA will stay outside and be deducted from the UC payment.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

so if we have IR and CB -
    the IR part will be migrated to UC

so will that automatically change our housing benefit to UC at the same time?

As I understand it UC entitlement will be calculated normally, but then CB ESA income will be deducted from it. But because LCWRA element on UC is higher than CB ESA, you will be left with the extra as a topup, I hope that makes sense.

I think HC2 department is going to get busy at the NHS tho.

The free prescriptions for UC, cannot be claimed for those with CB ESA SG deductions as its over the threshold (ESA CB WRAG IS OK), however I rang up the NHS and they told me people in that situation should qualify for a HC2 cert. So its a bit odd that loop is going to be needed to jump through but it is what it is.
    Last edited by worried33; 01-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.

I get a new HC2 every year anyway, even though I'm IR ESA so don't really need one, (I also have a prescription Medical Exemption card valid to 2021).

It's just easier to have the HC2 to show when claiming travel to hospital costs, eye tests, dental, etc.

PS. When you apply for an HC2 just say you have ESA, don't say IR ESA or they write back and say you don't need one.
    I just say ESA and then in the Additional Information part put that I'm applying for a replacement of form number ##### which expires on ##/##/20##
    (Which reminds me I think it's due for renewal).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.