Thread: What happens after the Work Programme?

What happens after the Work Programme?

Hello. I'm coming to the end of my two years on the Work Programme. The WP provider is about to send my Exit Report to the Job Centre. Do you know what happens next, I mean over the next six months? Thanks.

Hi mathew,

You must be one of the last still on the WP. (I was one of the first ESA to go on it).
    Referals to WP ended on 1st April 2017, so there can't be many left on their 2 year stint.

Not a lot happens after you have finished the WP.

I finished my WP in November 2014 and did a long thread here on how it went from week to week, see the link below.

I had an 'exit' interview at the jobcentre, and since then have been on 6 monthly trips to the JC for Work Focused Interviews. (Got one next Tuesday).
    These are simply on the lines of 'Are you the same, are you doing the same things' 'yes all the same' 'OK see you again in six months'.
    Sometimes a bit more but not much.
    They'll probably talk some waffle about migration to UC, it's their 'big thing' at the moment but shouldn't affect you yet.

You can read more about my experiences at the end of my WP in this thread:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...ll=1#post64522

That goes from my initial leaving interview, the post I've linked to, through reports of the various interviews I had (and an overturned sanction) and continues to a couple of years after.
    It's 8 pages long but pages 5-8 are less about leaving WP and more about generally related issues.

When you get back to the Jobcentre it helps if you can show you are doing something and not just sat watching telly all day.

For instance I've told them that I moderate on a technical webforum, and give benefits advice on this one, that keeps them happy as they can tick a box saying I'm doing something and so don't have to push for any other Work Related Activities.

You might like to think of something similar you could tell them, a couple of hours voluntary work in a charity shop? Doing some online learning? Shopping/Gardening for a eldery or disabled neighbour? Something like that that is generally work related.

They are overworked, so make their job easier and they don't push you, (that would just give them more work to do).
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-11-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad.

Yes, they closed the WP to new entrants about 4 weeks after sending me on it. The Exit Report seems to give a lot of scope for the WP provider company to say some pretty bad things about you to the Job Centre. That's my main concern here.

I'm in one of the areas of London that is now fully Universal Credit. I don't know if that will have any impact.

I wouldn't bother too much about the exit report, this is a quote from that thread I linked talking about my "Post Work Programme" interview at the JC+
    I then brought up the issue of my Work Programme Exit Report being totally inaccurate, and the recommendations not suitable for someone on ESA.
    Her response: "I never read the things, they are meant to tell us what the Work Programme people think about you, I prefer to meet people and make my own mind up. They don't go in your official record".
    I let her have a look at my copy of the report; after having a laugh, she started to explain that they couldn’t have had me doing jobsearches, and couldn't advise that I be given work experience.
    Of course I told her that I knew all those rules and that is why the report is so obviously false.
    The whole UK is now Full Service UC, since the end of December.
    Like I say don't worry too much about UC yet, unless you move house to a different Local Authority, make a new claim for housing costs, or get a partner or child, then you won't be migrated yet.

I assume that as you were on the WP then you're in ESA-WRAG which will be Income Related so will eventualy be migrated to UC, but likely not yet.

You've probably seen in the news that the Managed Migration, where they 'force' people to move to UC, is in a mess and delayed again so it will be at least a year before most even start to migrate.
    Unless you are one of the 10,000 that will be picked for the pilot scheme, and they tend not to pick London for the pilots.
    (But that may be different as this one will be closely scrutinised and if certain areas are excluded then questions will be asked).
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-11-2019 at 03:25 PM.

They moved me onto full UC a few months ago. I'm in one of the advanced pilot areas in London.

The UC is working ok. I've read a few accounts of people being treated very badly at the Job Centre after completing their two years on the Work Programme. I'm just wondering if that has changed now.

So you are already on UC?

As you are posting on a disability forum and had been on benefits for over 2 years I had assumed that you had ESA WRAG

They haven't started the pilot Managed Migrations anywhere yet, so if you are on Full Service UC it's for a different reason.

The only people on Full Service UC are -
    1. Brand new claims for an IR benefit.
    2. Those on existing IR benefits in a Full Service area who had a change of circumstances that meant making a new IR claim. (eg. a move of house to a different LA).
    3. Those who were on Live Service UC and are now being transfered to Full Service UC.

Just to be sure here, what benefit were you getting before you moved onto Full Service UC?
    And which UC conditionality group are you now in?

If you are a jobseeker (All work related requirements) then yes it gets very intensive after you finish the Work Programme.
    If you have UC-Limited Capability (Work preparation requirement, or No requirements) that's a diferent kettle of fish altogether, they can't make you jobsearch.

Yes I was on that but they said I no longer qualified, which I'm currently disputing with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew123 View Post
    Yes I was on that but they said I no longer qualified, which I'm currently disputing with them.
    Sorry, you were on which?

I think more/full information of what you were previously claiming and just what you are disputing is going to be needed for us to give any relevant, meaningful, advice.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.