Thread: L4/l5 discectomy

L4/l5 discectomy

Hi all I'm due to have a l4/5 discectomy just wondering how many if any have had this done and what out comes did you get from this I have been reading so many horror stories hope someone can help me out

Quote Originally Posted by julieshaun1968 View Post
    Hi all I'm due to have a l4/5 discectomy just wondering how many if any have had this done and what out comes did you get from this I have been reading so many horror stories hope someone can help me out
    I had L3/L4/L5/S1 fusion with instrumentation in 2015 and it has made a little bit of improvement ( about 25%) but since the surgery 3 years down the line I still have left leg numbness, severe sciatica pain in both ankles and still have back and buttock pain.

I'm on the same medication as before the surgery and now I'm struggling to keep working but needs must.
    I'm attending pain clinic once a fortnight and suffering from chronic pain syndrome.

Hi Mark thnx for reply can I ask how long you were of work I'm now considering cancelling due to complications my surgeon did offer me a pain review thnx again

Quote Originally Posted by julieshaun1968 View Post
    Hi Mark thnx for reply can I ask how long you were of work I'm now considering cancelling due to complications my surgeon did offer me a pain review thnx again

My employer at the time "let me go" (paid me off basically) so i didnt take time off work and it too me over 18 months to find suitable employment but I'm looking again to change jobs as I need something a bit more sedentary but when employers see a gap for spinal surgery they tend not to take you on for fear of risking the back again.

The complications can vary from person to person and many people have seen a vast improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by markt1968 View Post
    .. when employers see a gap for spinal surgery they tend not to take you on for fear of risking the back again.
    Employers are, in general, not allowed to ask about medical/disability matters until you are shortlisted/interviewed, and they are limited even then.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...ffering-a-job/

It can be awkward covering a gap on your CV but just give as little detail as you can.
    Something as simple as "Date1 to Date2 - Receiving medical treatment." is sufficent.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-20-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.