Thread: Claiming Carer's Allowance

Claiming Carer's Allowance

Recently I decided to apply online for Carer's Allowance. People have suggested that I apply for it as I'm my Mother's main carer. She will soon be 90 years old, outlived her husband and daughter and lives in her own home.

Luckily she has a teacher pension that covers her bills. The sad thing is she has now developed vascular dementia and needs lots of support to keep her independent. I decided that the time was right for me to apply for CA.

I almost forgot that I applied when today, out of the blue, the DWP phoned with a question.

I told them that I had an income from a lodger. They seemed more interested to know if I was supplying meals too - which I don't.

So here's what I think .... they were trying to catch me out.
    They asked if I was supplying meals to my lodger - does this constitute work I wonder. Anyway I don't.
    They also asked me if I engage an Accountant! I told them that the room is rented out under the Government's 'Rent-a-Room Scheme' and is tax free so I don't need an accountant.

It will be interesting to see if I do qualify as I usually don't qualify for Benefits. I guess this benefit is taxable!

Supplying meals or not can change the legal status of a tenancy, which could have affects on benefits, both yours or your lodgers.

I don't know just how that would affect you but you might want to check the shelter website about supplying meals with lodgers.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Well, the DWP sent a letter saying I was eligible for Carer's Allowance and will credit me with three months back pay in the near future.

However, it is taxable which will reduce the income to £50 a week. Still everything helps.

I also phoned my local income tax office so they can adjust my tax. Monday isn't the best day to phone but I was impressed with a new service on offer - voice recognition to skip security questions and be put through quicker. Initially the computer asks questions about your NI number, full named address plus what's your enquiry about. Then it invites you to take part in voice recognition access.

Very impressed with the technology and efficient way they are trying to process equiries.

The DWP have sent three months back pay to my bank within 5 working days of getting the letter.

Trying to tell the local tax office that I need to pay tax by phone is nearly impossible as my calls are never answered by a human!

Of the £64.60 Carers Allowance I get I'll have to pay 20% tax so I'll end up with about £51 pw.

You have to tell the Tax man yourself. They'll adjust my Tax Code this April. That means the Gov value my care for mum at £1.45 at hour net!

You forgot to add the tax-free £10 Christmas bonus, LOL.

Seriously though, as it's supposedly an 'earnings replacement' benefit, and for a minimum of 35 hours per week - every week; the word pathetic just doesn't cover it.

I wonder.
    Are there any carer's in the Government?
    Maybe everyone in the House of Commons just doesn't care.