Thread: Person with cancer told they would have got pip of they weren't working.

Person with cancer told they would have got pip of they weren't working.

This makes my blood boil.
    A man with Leukemia refused pip after previously being entitled, because he is working.

https://inews-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.o...hemotherapy%2F

So much for pip being there to support people into work. I hear of this quite regularly - people being refused it because they're working!

Sounds like fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Sounds like fake news.
    Why? This was from upday which is articles that appear when you scroll left on Android phones.

I agree, this truly is disgusting.

I sincerely hope his tribunal is soon and that the decision is overturned.

I hope someone in a position of power looks at amending the descriptors, as they overlook far too many daily living difficulties.

This is very selective reporting. And does verge on fake news.

I wish they wouldn't do it, exaggerated stories like this detract from the real problems.
    They also give the DWP, and government, an excuse to ignore the 'real' stories.

What it fails to say, what it leaves out, is at least as important as what is does say.
    (If you know how PIP works that is, it's obviously written for those who don't know).

By leaving things out it gives a very biased, one sided, story. A story that is not accurate.

The maths masters graduate spent six months in hospital, where he was treated with intense chemotherapy.

But before his treatment has finished, the Department for Work and Pensions decided to withdraw his disability benefits.
    The DWP didn't "decide to withdraw" his benefits - PIP payments automatically stop after you have been in hospital for 28 days, and are reinstated once you leave hospital.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...-go-into-hospi

Because Lewis can no longer claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP), she is unable to apply for Carer‘s Allowance.
    Why can he no longer claim PIP?
    The article does not give any reason for this at all.
    Anyone can make a new PIP claim at any time.

The issue with working is just a Red Herring, PIP is not means tested. (Unless his work contradicted what he was saying about his abilities).

But then in January last year, Lewis was asked by the DWP to attend an assessment – and shortly afterwards received a letter to say the financial support would stop.

“On the day of his assessment, Lewis was sick from the chemo and he collapsed because his leg gave way,” she said.
    This sounds a more likely explanation of why his PIP was actually stopped? - He did not attend the assessment?
    (MR and appeal time showing good reason for not attending).
    But of course that wouldn't make a story.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-22-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you nukecad, just how I saw it but a bit too unwell at mo to get a post together.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    This is very selective reporting. And does verge on fake news.

I wish they wouldn't do it, exaggerated stories like this detract from the real problems.
    They also give the DWP, and government, an excuse to ignore the 'real' stories.

What it fails to say, what it leaves out, is at least as important as what is does say.
    (If you know how PIP works that is, it's obviously written for those who don't know).

By leaving things out it gives a very biased, one sided, story. A story that is not accurate.

The DWP didn't "decide to withdraw" his benefits - PIP payments automatically stop after you have been in hospital for 28 days, and are reinstated once you leave hospital.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...-go-into-hospi

Why can he no longer claim PIP?
    The article does not give any reason for this at all.
    Anyone can make a new PIP claim at any time.

The issue with working is just a Red Herring, PIP is not means tested. (Unless his work contradicted what he was saying about his abilities).

This sounds a more likely explanation of why his PIP was actually stopped? - He did not attend the assessment?
    (MR and appeal time showing good reason for not attending).
    But of course that wouldn't make a story.
    Well, I guess I fell for a bit of sensationalism, then? I still don't feel it's fair on the man. ????

Neuro, dont kick yourself about it, these sensationalist journos are well versed in triigers and button pressing, its clickbait.........No real value but people flock like moths to a flame...........As to fairness.well guess we will never know now.

As stree says it's what they get paid for, making stories out of nothing.

It's 'fashionable' in some areas of the press to go UC bashing at the moment.
    But there are enough real problems to report on without fabricating stories that don't add up when you look at them.

In fact these false stories detract from the real problems, and confuse and sometimes scare people.

The also give the government/DWP an excuse to say 'All these stories are false and don't tell the truth.' so they can ignore the real problems.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.