Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People with disabilities or disabled people?

People with disabilities or disabled people?

It's interesting how termination is important.

Going back many years disabled people were tagged 'handicapped' - why? Well there was no Welfare Benefit so the only way a disabled person could get money was by 'cap in hand' - begging. Hence the phrase handicapped.

Before Motability came about in 1977 disabled people would be described as 'invalids' and may have driven a three wheel 'invalid carriage' vehicle.

Disabled people felt marginalised and didn't want to be classed as second class citizens and demanded 'rights not charity'.

Disabled people became angry and started to demonstrate that things needed to change.

One of the things that was important was how we defined ourselves.

Many people might say 'people with disabilities' - but that gives the impression that you can take off your impairments like throwing down an umbrella.

It was decided that as all people with different impairments suffered the same from discrimination that we would term ourselves as 'disabled people' as we're proud of who we are and we embrace our impairments as an integral part of who we are.

And remember if anyone has a problem with that - that's their problem not yours.

Hi.

I think disabled is as good as it's going to get in terms of terminology. I have no problem with being called disabled, indeed throughout my life I have been called far worse, so disabled is fine with me. I have a disability which is there for all to see. It's a tricky one. I think some of the terminology is very unhelpful. e.g. special needs, which could mean anything. In my experience, special needs was usually used by able bodied people who felt uncomfortable about other people's disabilities.

davewhit
    I am disabled by my disabilites

Hi Davewhit you've fallen into the old trap of mixing your impairment with your disability.

If I remember rightly you said in another post that you were either visualy impaired or blind - that's your impairment.

Taking the 'social model' of disability then you are disabled by society for not taing your needs into account.

So society needs to remove those disabling barriers away so you can function, as you are, in mainstream society.

So what are those disabling barriers and how can they be removed -

- tactile paving at dropped kerbs tell you where it's safe to cross roads
    - audible pelican crossings
    - jaws or super nover computer software enables you to use computers
    - being able to access information in a format of your choice eg Braille, large print, MP3 files
    - audio descriptions at museums
    - talking bus stops to give you travel information
    - lifts with Braille buttons and voice over to tell you which floor you're on.

If society removes disabling barriers as above then you can take part in mainstream society.

This is why the Government is keen to see what you can do rather than what you can't do.

Lightbulb People with disabilities or disabled people?

I am so angry that people with 'Learning Disabilities' are now being described by politicians etc as 'those who have learning problems'.

I have a physical disability and my husband and son both have a hereditary learning disability, yet now they are both being classed as 'people with learning problems'.

If a person has a problem with learning then they are unable to learn and have to rely on others to help them through each and every day, they are just as completely disabled as someone with an obvious physical disability, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there (people believe in god or other deities), but we keep hearing the term learning problem on tv. It's like people with learning disabilities are now being referred to as 'problem' people. They just have 'problems' which is worse than being called 'handicapped' a previous and outdated term as mentioned above by Lighttouch.

Now with the paralympics ('Good luck to them!!!') it's like the politicians are starting to think that all disabled people can reach that level of achievement. How many of the GB paralympians are on Disability Living Allowance? Our government are already gunning for disabled people, and many have been thrown off of their DLA. As mentioned above by Lighttouch "Disabled people became angry and started to demonstrate that things needed to change." All that hard work, stress and perseverance in the past would be for nothing, if the government keep going in the direction that they are going in! We are scared that the government will blow the paralympics out of proportion.

We found this hard to write as my husband, myself and our son are all disabled and we are immensely proud of our GB Paralympic team but at the same time we are scared of a backlash on all disabled people including the parlympians by the government twisting the achievements afterwards.

Yes 'learning problems' doesn't sound very PC.

People have 'impairments' not disabilities.

The term 'disabled people' covers physical, mental and sensory impaired people as we all suffer from similar discrimination.

It's taken a long time but most organisations follow the 'Social Model of Disability' Meaning that we disabled people can't change but society can.

Society can build accessible homes, public transport and integrate us into mainstream education and work places.

The last thing we want are places like Remploy that segregated disabled people and isolated them.

The aim is that future generations will see disabled people and not think twice about them as we are people too.

I could go on but I want to watch the last cycling events.

To Lighttouch,

So you're saying that it is perfectly okay for a disabled person to get a minimum paid job, which is all someone with a learning disability could expect (lets be realistic here), and at the same time someone with a physical disability could also get a job doing the same thing for the same wage at the same company. Yet the physically disabled person with a normal IQ could and probably would eventually work their way up to say 'supervisor or something' and get a higher wage but the person with a learning disability can only look on, feeling useless and worthless while their colleagues all work their way up leaving the learning disabled person stuck in the exact same job for life.

I thought that the reason to work isn't only to contribute to society through taxation and National Insurance contributions, but to improve one's standard of living as one gets older, by working your way up the company's ladder.

My husband was forced to endure things like government schemes that put people with learning disabilities on a factory production line doing repetitive work when he was younger for very little money, it was basically slave labour and he had no choice but to do it, he felt raped of his dignity. He attended a school for disabled children but was unable to access the curriculum due to his cognitive impairments, he is not able to read at all and is colour blind and cannot remember names, phone numbers or addresses, is unable to use a phone, washing machine, DVD recorder, Sky TV menus or a microwave. He needs help constantly and cannot remember a list of commands of what is required of him in a work situation.

People like myself who have a physical disability and a normal IQ want society to treat us no differently to able bodied people, however, people with learning disabilities 'problems' can't deal with normal social situations ie; the work place.

Therefore, people with learning disabilities should not be tarred with the same brush as people with a physical disability and a normal IQ.

We look forward to hearing your views and other peoples views on this topic....

In my experience as someone with a physical disability, and have been around people with all kinds of disabilities I've never felt I've been treated better than someone with a learning disability. Some of the expectations people have had of me have been different, but these have been based on people knowing me and understanding what I can and can't do and encouraging me to do the best I can.

The problem is to do with other people not being able to understand how to treat someone with a learning or a physical disability, helping them find work which they can manage and with some help and support excel at.

Surely there's no such thing as disability now.We all know there's a level playing field in the job market hence the Remploy factories being shut down all over the place.The government's said this so it must be true.Any of you should go for a job interview without disclosing that you're disabled and I can guarantee you that your disability will not be mentioned.I also believe the moon's made out of
    green cheese and fairies live at the bottom of the garden.If you look disabled then you're disabled to most people.Some people are fine with it a lot of people are not.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Force_Majeure_007*** View Post
    To Lighttouch,

So you're saying that it is perfectly okay for a disabled person to get a minimum paid job, which is all someone with a learning disability could expect (lets be realistic here), and at the same time someone with a physical disability could also get a job doing the same thing for the same wage at the same company. Yet the physically disabled person with a normal IQ could and probably would eventually work their way up to say 'supervisor or something' and get a higher wage but the person with a learning disability can only look on, feeling useless and worthless while their colleagues all work their way up leaving the learning disabled person stuck in the exact same job for life.

I....

Thats no different than the person who got no exam results at school because they did not wwork will end up flipping burgers at mac D

you can only work to a level you are able to manage ........ you could say the person with the learning disability is more disabled than someone in a wheel chair when it comes to work IMO of course