Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESA IR back payment query

ESA IR back payment query

Hi all ,

First off all thanks for all the support a few months ago really much apperacted ,

However Iv received a letter saying im entitled to some back pay .

It says on the letter

A payment on the above was issued on the 22nd of Jan 2018 If you haven't received it within 7 days please get in contact. ( i understand that bit however please can someone explain the following)

We will not Add the above Figure to any Capital of savings you have already told us about until your claim ends. If you make a new Claim for benefits after the 22nd Jan 2020 your benefit may be affected by this payment

The ESa(IR) we have sent will explain how we worked out .

1. Is says 7 days but how long is the generally wait .

Do they put it in bank or is it a cheaque .

Hi, my brother had his payment in the bank a day after the letter

please can anyone explain the last bit of the letter ""We will not Add the above Figure to any Capital of savings you have already told us about until your claim ends. If you make a new Claim for benefits after the 22nd Jan 2020 your benefit may be affected by this payment ""

All that us saying is that the money that you recieve in backpay will not be counted as capital/savings as long as your ESA continues.

And it will not be counted as capital/savings for any new (income related) claim you make in the next year.

I have been advising that you open a new account and put your backpayment in there.
    That way it is clear that it is disregarded backpay.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Haribo, how long did you have to wait between sending in the form and getting your letter, please?

I was going to ask the same thing Priffy.We sent forms off on the 14th December 6 weeks ago..I honestly don't think we will get any back pay but they sent the forms so we filled them in and returned them.I wonder if they let you know if you don't qualify?

Hello barbiejane

I knew I wouldn't be entitled to backpay as my spouse works for more than 24 hours per week ( which is one of the disqualifying criteria), so after ticking that box on the form, I returned it and around three weeks later I received a letter confirming that I would not be entitled to any backpay.

If only they could respond to all enquiries so quickly.
    Last edited by buble48; 01-26-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks buble for your reply.I haven't worked for as long as my husband became ill in 1990 and we never had any savings.If fact it was very hand to mouth in them days when the kids were growing up.

" I was going to ask the same thing Priffy.We sent forms off on the 14th December 6 weeks ago.."

Well there's a coinkydink Barbiejane, I helped someone do theirs and that form was also returned on the 14th of December. Sadly, I think with xmas getting in the way somewhat, that is bound to have slowed things down a bit but nonetheless, I hope that...

a) You hear back very soon

and

b) That you get a nice big chunk of back pay.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you

Thanks Priffy.I'll let everyone know the outcome good or bad.