Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Housing Benefit Cancelled

I've been told several times by the Benefits Services about UC and so it seems they're desperately trying to get rid of me. However, I'm on 'ESA contributory', which is not eligible for Universal Credit. I explained this twice in the correspondence (with letters from the DWP) but they keep repeating what they said earlier and that I should move to UC??

I've been told I can request a reconsideration of the decision but what's the point if they're just going to parrot the same response about UC. I've already provided all the evidence?

However, I'm on 'ESA contributory', which is not eligible for Universal Credit.
    Actually, I'm not sure about that? On the DWP site, contributory ESA is not listed as to be replaced by UC but Housing Benefit is. So, does my ESA mean I qualify automatically for HB or is HB assessed separately?
    Last edited by woeisme; 02-05-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Why are the Council Housing Benefits service so desperate to move me on to UC?

I think it is lack of knowledge/training in a lot of cases

ask to speak to a supervisor

ed.
    ooops
    see below Nukecad's post
    I was wrong because I forgot you were the person who had gone abroad
    sorry
    Last edited by walker; 02-05-2019 at 10:24 PM.

You have forfeited your previous HB claim; by being out of the UK for as long as you were your HB claim was closed.

The law has changed and you cannot make a new claim for HB (except in in very limited circumstances, which don't seem to apply to you).

If you want to claim help with your rent it will have to be in the form of Universal Credit.

This is not about your ESA at all, it is purely about your housing costs.

They are not trying to migrate your CB ESA to UC - they can't do that.

As your ESA is contribution based you don't have to close it - you can continue to receive CB ESA alongside the Universal Credit.

The way that will work is that you will get the full amount of UC, including the 'housing element' (and the 'limited capability element').
    The amount you get paid for CB ESA will then be deducted from the UC payment.

This will still get a fortnightly payment of ESA, and then a monthly payment of UC for your rent - just as you got seperate payments of ESA and HB.

You will have BOTH CB ESA and Universal Credit.

(You could if you want to close the CB ESA claim yourself and just have the full UC in payment once a month with no deduction for ESA payments).
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-05-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by woeisme View Post
    I've been told several times by the Benefits Services about UC and so it seems they're desperately trying to get rid of me. However, I'm on 'ESA contributory', which is not eligible for Universal Credit. I explained this twice in the correspondence (with letters from the DWP) but they keep repeating what they said earlier and that I should move to UC??

I've been told I can request a reconsideration of the decision but what's the point if they're just going to parrot the same response about UC. I've already provided all the evidence?

Actually, I'm not sure about that? On the DWP site, contributory ESA is not listed as to be replaced by UC but Housing Benefit is. So, does my ESA mean I qualify automatically for HB or is HB assessed separately?
    you may find UC is no better OR worse than ESA ? i had to claim UC 16months ago AND i would not want to go back on ESA , im use to "instant" communication with the DWP , i just log in and click on my "TO DO" list and that has been clear since i went on UC , so i know theres nothing in the pipeline , i get a tex / email if on the rare occasion they want me to read something , so try not to worry about UC its not as bad as some have said , and after all the internet is taking over from the royal mail .