Thread: ESA 50 or UC

ESA 50 or UC

My Re assessment is due in a few months.

Is there a new ESA50 in use now?

I'm guessing that I'm on ESA CB with IR top up I will remain on ESA and not UC.

When re assessed will I need to send just the one ESA50 and they will use that for my entitlement to the ESA IR top up?

Regards.

The version online is newer than the one they send out, though I personally couldn't find any difference myself. I queried this and they told me either version was acceptable. I only asked as I can no longer hold a pen/write and needed to type my answers.

Somebody else with more knowledge will answer in more detail. . .

The latest version of the ESA50 (online) has the date 05/18 (at the bottom of each page).
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-questionnaire

You may have been sent an older one if they are using up old stock of the printed form.
    There is (usually) no difference in the questions themselves, it's the explanatory notes that change from time to time.

You only have one assessment that covers both CB ESA and IR ESA.

Eventually at sometime in the future your IR ESA component will be migrated to UC, but your CB ESA can stay outside of UC. (Unless you want to close the CB ESA and just claim UC).
    When that happens you will get CB ESA paid every fortnight and UC paid monthly.
    The CB ESA payment will be deducted from the UC payment, leaving you with the same money overall.
    Think of it as CB ESA with a UC top-up. (Instead of an IR ESA top-up).

When this happens you will be claiming BOTH CB ESA and UC.
    There should still only be one Work Capability Assessment to cover both benefits.
    Although they do admit they have sometimes been getting this wrong and sending both an ESA50 and a UC50.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
    A claimant claiming ESA and UC is not required to have two separate WCAs: one for ESA one for UC. Only one WCA will be undertaken and the determination based on that WCA’s outcome applies to both benefits.

We recognise that some people have been referred for two WCA assessments whilst claiming both UC and New Style ESA and will be reviewing the process to prevent this from occurring in the future as we wish to make this process as efficient as possible whilst minimising any additional concerns and stress for claimants.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-08-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you for your reply

Additional- From my reading of another part of that FoI reply;

When a reassessment is required of someone who has both CB ESA and UC-LCW/LCWRA it will be done under the UC system, using a UC50, and the decision when made will then be notified to ESA.

The assessments themselves are identical whether it's UC or ESA, and are done by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Additional- From my reading of another part of that FoI reply;

When a reassessment is required of someone who has both CB ESA and UC-LCW/LCWRA it will be done under the UC system, using a UC50, and the decision when made will then be notified to ESA.

The assessments themselves are identical whether it's UC or ESA, and are done by the same people.
    I am currently not claiming any UC, does that mean that I will need to fill in a ESA50 or UC50?

If you are not claiming UC it will be an ESA50.

It doesn't realy make any difference, both are the same apart from what they call it.