Thread: Direct payment and holiday

Direct payment and holiday

Hi all,

I am on direct payment and I get respite in my package. For 4 years it has been in my care plan for me to save it so I can have a holiday with the family as I do not want to go in to a care home and be away from my children. It has taken this long as we have been saving and my health has not been good. Now I have been told that they don't do this and I can not use my respite money for this even though I have it in my care plan for the last 4 years they have said they don't cover travel accommodation or food, I understand the food side but my husband and boys care for me and we wanted to be together. Can they do this?

I'm sure someone will be more clued up on this and will answer later.

But as far as I am aware the direct payment is only to be used to pay for your care, eg. employing a carer.

It could be used to pay for a carer to accompany/support you on a holiday, but I don't believe that it can be used to pay for your holiday itself.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I receive a budget from social services. I can't use it to pay for the holiday or pay staffs holiday costs but I can use it to pay for staff wages. I can't empty family either or use budget to pay for family to accompany me holiday.