Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warm Home Discount

Will I have any legal recourse if nothing happens then at end of march they say its expired tough luck?

Hi worried, have you tried contacting by email or even on twitter (suggest direct message as may need personal info)? Or maybe call them.

This is an absolute scandal that has been running for years,some suppliers have never told their customers that this discount even exists ! I only found out by chance one year and was told I was too late to apply....why ? there is no possible reason for this, missing their "secret" deadline is simply another obstacle to prevent you from claiming. They changed things a couple of years later but still dont inform people to apply. Many thousands of people are missing out and unless they have need to visit the suppliers website and decide to look around, they will never know. Probably the worst thing is the "first come first served" policy they have, its ridiculous and unfair, if your disabled and entitled to help how can they say "sorry, your number 2001 to claim, we stopped claims at 2000" disgusting behavior from a bunch of greedy money grabbers, if your entitled to a discount then it should be automatic, they already have your details, they just dont want to pay up.

If they mess you about contact your MP, I did and it worked.

My understanding, though I could be wrong, that not all suppliers do the Warmhome discount as it a voluntary thing and maybe why some suppliers don’t put any thing up on their web sites.

I know when I last used a compare site nearly 3 years ago you had to tick a box if you wanted suppliers who did WH to show up in the results.

Call them I usually get mine in vouchers from Scottish power in December but I still hadn't received it by the middle of February when I called they said it had been processed but I don't think had been because a couple of days later they put it straight into my meter,if I hadn't of called I wouldn't have got it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    My understanding, though I could be wrong, that not all suppliers do the Warmhome discount as it a voluntary thing and maybe why some suppliers don’t put any thing up on their web sites.

I know when I last used a compare site nearly 3 years ago you had to tick a box if you wanted suppliers who did WH to show up in the results.
    That's correct.

The WHD is not a right - it's a bonus from the companies that do participate.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

In fact, the WHD is a requirement made by Government which has recently been extended to companies that were previously below the customer threshold, the participating companies dont offer the discount out of generosity, they are "obligated" to do so. You could argue that the energy companies foot the bill for the discount but that's only part of the story, they have no choice in the matter and what they pay out is offset in other ways. We certainly do have a right to apply and they are obligated to pay if you qualify. From what I gather the "first come first served" strategy is in place because the energy companies apply their own "cap" on how much their prepared to pay.

Now that our Polititians have decided to remove the hard fought for cap on these companies to peg back their profiteering perhaps the cap on WHD should also be scrapped.

The point is that though the WHD is written in law it is not like a beneift where you have a right to it if you qualify.

There is not an automatic right that everyone can get the WHD, ie. you can't get it if you are with one of the smaller suppliers.

For those customers of larger suppliers there are 2 groups who qualify, - the 'core group' (those getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit) qualify automatically, the 'broader group' have to apply to the supplier for the WHD.

The consumer limit hasn't changed yet, it was still 250,000 consumers this winter, that will go down to 200,000 next year, and 150,000 the year after.
    Suppliers with less cusomers than those limits do not have to pay the WHD.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-10-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The consumer limit hasn't changed yet, it was still 250,000 consumers this winter, that will go down to 200,000 next year, and 150,000 the year after.
    Suppliers with less customers than those limits do not have to pay the WHD.[/QUOTE]

I must be just fortunate, Ive been getting it for years without any prob, until last year when they asked for proof, I got it eventually after sending proof dozens of times