Thread: ESA rates?

ESA rates?

Hi all - I'm returning after years away from these parts, i anticipate problems with my long-standing IB claim being transferred over to ESA.

My form's been sent, and a duplicate by recorded delivery after postal problems resulting in my original not making its way there, surprise surprise.
    From the literature that came with it, i notice that the rate of ESA is below that of my current IB. My benefit rate (assuming i score enough points from the WCA) will be frozen until the rate of ESA catches up.

I remember seeing David Cameron defending the changes to benefits on tv where he said that those who continue onto the new benefit will be better off. Have i missed something?
    We've all heard of the 'squeezed middle' but it's us lot at the bottom of the pile who get squeezed hardest. In the past 5 years, there have been 2 occasions where benefits were supposed to increase by 5% or more due to the September inflation rate. On both occasions my benefit has gone up by just 2%. My personal inflation rate is closer to 20%, energy being the biggest culprit. Please don't tell me about the squeezed middle.

Can someone please tell me the current rate of ESA?

Depends which ESA group you get put in.

ESA WRAG is about £99 I think
    ESA Support Group is £105.15

I think there's transitional protection for someone on IB who transfers into the WRAG group .In that they'll recieve the same rate as IB (if it was higher) on transfer but won't get any annual increases until the WRAG rate with annual % increases equals the IB rate they were on at point of transfer.

If I'm correct in this would mean you're not initally worse off on transfer just for the next year or so till it balances out.
    If I'm wrong someone will shortly put me right.

If you transfer into the Support group it would be roughly the same payment. Well it was for me.

Transitional protection for ESA migrants.

Where claimants are entitled to more money on incapacity benefit than they would be on ESA, their ESA will be paid at their incapacity benefit rate on conversion. But their rate of ESA will effectively be frozen, rather than being increased year on year. This should mean that eventually their ESA payments and the standard rate paid to other ESA claimants will equalise. These transitional rates of payment will cease not later than April 2020, regardless of whether they have equalised or not.

Existing housing benefit and council tax benefit claimants who are receiving income support and go on to receive income-related ESA following conversion, will continue to get a full passport to housing benefit and council tax benefit.

Current benefit rates. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/benefitrates2012.pdf
    Last edited by vikstar; 09-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.