Thread: Appointee capital

Appointee capital

Hi,
    I am an appointee/carer for my sister who cannot/not allowed to have her own bank account
    Her DLA/Income support is paid into my account
    My carers allowance/income suppoort is paid into the same account
    I have just received an Income support review form which states that my account cannot hold more than £6000 or I wll lose some/all of my income support
    As my sister cannot hold her own account I have to keep both my money and my sisters money and sometimes the total goes slightly over the £6000 mark
    Surely this limit should be doubled to take into account my own personal money as well as my sisters

Your sisters' benefit payments to your account should show with her own National Insurance number against them on your statements. Despite that it will be impossible for you to prove to the DWP that all of her benefits are being used just for her, so without a verified breakdown the DWP will probably have to treat it all as belonging to you (which in fact it legally does.)
    One solution might be to ask your bank if you can open a second account for your sisters' benefits which clearly shows that it is her money paid to you as the appointee. Or the same could be done using a Post Office account. Either should be able to show you are the appointee on statements etc.
    Alternatively draw all of her benefits as they are paid in and keep the cash somewhere. Personally I would see what the bank can do to help first.

Just open (if you don't have another) an account in your name and notify the DWP of the new details for your payments.

I also think you should have two bank accounts so it can clearly be seen what's coming in and what's going out.

You also need to contact a solicitor to set up a legal document called an LPA - Lasting Power of Attorney. Your sister can then ask you to act on her behalf. It can only happen if your sister knows what she is doing and what she is signing.

Check out this link
    http://lpaadvice2-px.rtrk.co.uk/

My parents asked me to act on their behalf regarding finances. They have their own bank account with Santander and all bills are paid via direct debits. When I log in online to see my statement I also have free access to theirs too but I only check it for irregularities or if it needs moving to gain better interest.

I think it would be in your interests to do the same because at the moment your joint income is going in your sole name and the savings could count against you.

Hi,
    Thank you for your replies
    I think there should be some provision made for carers maybe an increase in the capital allowed

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    Just open (if you don't have another) an account in your name and notify the DWP of the new details for your payments.
    if its in her name that wont make the DWP happy there is a right proper legal way of doing this any other way wont make dwp happy contact MIND as they have a department that will guide you through the paperwork its an account in your sisters name with you the only person allowed to take money out

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    if its in her name that wont make the DWP happy there is a right proper legal way of doing this any other way wont make dwp happy contact MIND as they have a department that will guide you through the paperwork its an account in your sisters name with you the only person allowed to take money out
    The OP gets CA and IS in her own right, surely this her money and seperate to her sisters affairs and as such she is entitled to have her money paid into her own account. Why would DWP not be happy?