Thread: Disability Premium Eligibility Question

Disability Premium Eligibility Question

Thanks for allowing me to join!

A friend of mine has just received her backdated ESA payment review from 2014.

I understand that as part of that review she would have been assessed for DIsability premium.

She is in receipt of the higher rate PIP benefit since 2015, when due to continued anxiety she moved from her rented accommodation into her daughters house (jointly owned by the daughter/daughters fiancé).

The daughter is in full time employment and receives no Carers allowance or other benefits on behalf of herself or her mother.

No rent is charged and the mother is purely there for company not for caring. She has her own room and ‘helps out’ with utility bills and buys her own food.

Her assessment has come through without any mention of the Disabilty premium and when queried on the phone was told that this is due to her daughter living with her as a non-dependent adult who does not receive any benefits.

The reality is it,s the reverse and the ESA 3 nor IS10 seam to cater for this situation.

Has anyone experienced this situation or can offer some advice?

Many thanks in advance.

There is more than one disability premium, which you can get depends on your circumstances and which benefit(s) you are getting.

There is the Disability Premium.
    This is not payable with ESA.

There is the Severe Disability Premium.
    This is payable with IR ESA if you are eligible.
    But as she is living with her non dependant daughter she is not eligible for the Severe Disability Premium.
    (Who's house it is doesn't matter, only that you are not 'living aone').

There is the Enhanced Disability Premium.
    If you are in the Support Group for IR ESA then you automatically qualify for this.
    On the letters they send out they call this the 'Disability Income Guarantee'. (They don't call it a 'premium' on the letters, no one is sure why not).
    It's currently £16.40 and goes up to £16.80 in April.

You can see more about the qualifying conditions for each premium here: https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiu...rt/eligibility

You mention a review and backpay to 2014.

I'm assuming the was the review about transfering from Incapacity Benefit to ESA.

The backpay she received will have been the Enhanced Disability Premium from 2014 to date.
    If her transfer from IB to ESA was before 2014 then she will have some more backpay to come.

There are a few people in that situation, the government was attempting to limit backpayments to 2014 but lost in court so have to pay back to the actual transfer date.

Before the court case was heard some people had already been backpaid only to 2014 and so they have some more backpay to come, some have already received this others are still waiting.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-14-2019 at 04:26 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi NUkecad,

Many thanks for you swift and detailed response.

I will relay to my friend!