Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motability expensive?

Until last year I was not on the mobility scheme, we always brought 12 -18 months old cars, however taking into consideration depreciation, insurance, tyres etc, joining the mobility scheme became a no brainer. I just put fuel in and hopefully get a new car every year, it is less stressful experience life is too short.
    I have suffered a Traumatic Subachnoid Brain Haemorrhage several years ago, I do struggle to understand quite simple as well as long postings and can be appear to be quite blunt or rude in my post it is not intentional, it is very difficult to find the right word to explain, it is just part of my condition, please except my apologise in advance, due to my injury I am also very sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    What a great idea ! And if I may add to it... they could use their own cars, they have a lot of customers returning the cars after 3 years, already adapted, with nowhere near the max mileage of 60.000. Rather than selling them to auction, they could offer them back into the scheme for a reduced price. I wonder how the numbers would look in that case...
    That would be a bit like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    Until last year I was not on the mobility scheme, we always brought 12 -18 months old cars, however taking into consideration depreciation, insurance, tyres etc, joining the mobility scheme became a no brainer. I just put fuel in and hopefully get a new car every year, it is less stressful experience life is too short.
    Every year? Do you know something I don't?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    That would be a bit like Turkeys voting for Christmas.
    I'm not sure I understand who are the turkeys here. If you mean motability would have no interest in doing so... I would argue that this way they would get more clients for almost no investment (yes, I am exaggerating here). Not all the cars would go back into the scheme, just a small number that would ensure a new range of clients. They kind of already do this, if you are not close to the 60,000 miles limit, you might get an extension from 3 to 5 years, but of course for the same full amount of weekly money which is not a great deal for the customer unless there was a big AP at the beginning of the contract.
    Also I would argue that motability being a charity created to help disabled people, would be more interested in providing more services rather than just going with the safe option to cash in on their used cars.
    Last edited by colin_21; 02-24-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand who are the turkeys here. If you mean motability would have no interest in doing so... I would argue that this way they would get more clients for almost no investment (yes, I am exaggerating here). Not all the cars would go back into the scheme, just a small number that would ensure a new range of clients. They kind of already do this, if you are not close to the 60,000 miles limit, you might get an extension from 3 to 5 years, but of course for the same full amount of weekly money which is not a great deal for the customer unless there was a big AP at the beginning of the contract.
    Also I would argue that motability being a charity created to help disabled people, would be more interested in providing more services rather than just going with the safe option to cash in on their used cars.
    Not sure that it would improve the directors bonuses!

Previously I had a Motability car for three years. But as the mileage done was relatively low Motability were happy to extend the lease to 5 years.

As DLA was being phased out and PIP brought in I decided to buy the car of Motability. They serviced the car and gave me £450 for keeping the car in good shape. I bought it off them for about £4000 and kept it for another 7 years. Last year I was awarded enhanced Care and Mobility so went back on the Motability lease hire scheme. I sold my old car for peanuts. Cars depreciate so much in a year - about 25% - it's not worth buying as technology moves on.

Perhaps they should bring back the Invacar!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Previously I had a Motability car for three years. But as the mileage done was relatively low Motability were happy to extend the lease to 5 years.

As DLA was being phased out and PIP brought in I decided to buy the car of Motability. They serviced the car and gave me £450 for keeping the car in good shape. I bought it off them for about £4000 and kept it for another 7 years.
    Interesting point, so you bought the car after 5 years of contract? I had a feeling that the price they quote is not very favorable to us, but £4,000 for a 5 year old car that you knew everything about it, how it was driven, what problems you had etc... seems quite a good idea... If I remember correctly it was a Renault Scenic, right? I remember you posting here about selling it...