Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motability expensive?

I can't get it to do 20,000 mpa for the Automatic.

Best it will do is a 'technology' version (which I think is the same as Motability) , 10,000 mpa, (still 3 years, no AP) at a whopping £394.72 /month.
    https://www.leasehub.co.uk/skoda/oct...technology-5dr

Of course those quoted prices are going to change depending what week it is, whereas the Motability doesn't it's you mobility allowance plus an AP.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-14-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

When I came to sell my 12 year old car Parker's Guide reckoned I'd et about £1200 for it. No way! People beat you down to a pulp! I got £300 for it.

Access to Work
    Before you order a Motability car, and if you are working, consider self-referring yourself to AtW with a request for help with the deposit.

You need a business case as to why you need a particular car that meets your access needs. For example - easy to get in and out, automatic, boot space etc.

Do the donkey work and tell them why similar cars aren't suitable - they won't argue. What they will ask is how much will you contribute to the deposit. You don't need to justify this number as it's just for their paperwork.

Don't place an order until they clarify how much they'll pay or the deal is void.

I used to always get about 75% towards the deposit - maybe times have changed but you'll never get what you never ask for.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 02-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.

If you need a big adapted automatic car and cover circa 20,000 miles pa. Motability is definitely your best option.

Like suggested you have nothing to loose by contacting Access To Work and it's very probable they'll assist.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-for-customers

Thank you for the suggestions, my conclusion was on the previous page: motoring is expensive and I really can't afford a new car - not easy to admit but better to face the reality...
    I wish I have done the math before, or find somewhere this info - a Motability car costs £10,000 over 3 years plus the AP plus the gas you use. Yes, you do get extras for that money, I'm not trying to discredit what motability is offering. I know most of the clients are happy with the service and solution that motability offers, I just wanted to point out the big number...
    All the suggestions about the access to work - thank you, all very good info - they only solve the AP. (The AP could also be covered by motability's charities, there are a few options - just for anybody who needs this info).

L.E. I had a look over the access to work page... They also help to pay for adaptations to your vehicle, doesnt say it needs to be new... So that's an important piece of information for someone going for the second hand route or the purchase outright the new car without VAT and with help to pay for adaptations...
    Last edited by colin_21; 02-23-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Hi Colin, I left the Motability scheme after being a customer for 20 years.

I have nothing but praise for Motability but like you I simply couldn't afford a new car.

So I bought a £500 Honda Civic automatic, it's still running great after 4 years albeit a cheap banger wouldn't suit you because of the mileage you cover.

If you could manage to finance a new car VAT free (with adaptions and you're a full time chair user) you may be able to get the "numbers" down by selling your car after 12/18 months or so but you must factor in the cost of transferring the adaptions.

Good luck whatever you decide

Thank you, I thought I'm the only one finding it expensive. Yes the service is great, but unless more people realize it is a bit expensive and voice their concerns motability have absolutely no intent / motivation to look into reducing the price. And I don't understand this... it's called haggling, you should do it even when you think the price is right...

I think the new car route is a bit risky, yes the numbers might add up, but I cant afford to risk that even if I had the money. Also I don't see myself selling a car for the right price, it takes experience to know how to sell. Second hand it is in a bit more than a year... A good option only if you know a good mechanic...

Quote Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
    Hi Colin, I left the Motability scheme after being a customer for 20 years.

I have nothing but praise for Motability but like you I simply couldn't afford a new car.

So I bought a £500 Honda Civic automatic, it's still running great after 4 years albeit a cheap banger wouldn't suit you because of the mileage you cover.

If you could manage to finance a new car VAT free (with adaptions and you're a full time chair user) you may be able to get the "numbers" down by selling your car after 12/18 months or so but you must factor in the cost of transferring the adaptions.

Good luck whatever you decide
    Too many people were abusing the VAT-free concession and it has been changed so you can only buy a VAT-free car once every three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
    Too many people were abusing the VAT-free concession and it has been changed so you can only buy a VAT-free car once every three years.
    Makes sense, thanks for putting me right.

Motability is a fabulous scheme in many respects but yes, it's expensive.
    Once you've handed over your PIP/DLA for the car, it leaves no mobility component money for you to spend on petrol.
    All well and good having a shiny new car outside your house but it's a great example of being all fur coat and no knickers, particularly when not everyone gets enhanced daily living component to offset some of the cost of petrol.

What I wish they would do, is use the scheme to allow the option of purchasing/leasing a 2nd hand car.
    Some people, ( those that don't need wheelchairs perhaps ) could manage quite well with a 5/6 year old car off the forecourt, rather than a brand spanking new one.
    It could also provide a way of giving peace of mind to those claimants only getting short awards, as they'd not be quite so prone to being left high and dry if they lost their award and had to wait for appeals.

Just a thought anyway.

What a great idea ! And if I may add to it... they could use their own cars, they have a lot of customers returning the cars after 3 years, already adapted, with nowhere near the max mileage of 60.000. Rather than selling them to auction, they could offer them back into the scheme for a reduced price. I wonder how the numbers would look in that case...