Thread: Driving Assessment Centres

Driving Assessment Centres

When I was looking into a new Motability Lease Hire car I would need to order adaptations too.

As I wasn't sure what was available Motability suggested I visit an assessment centre in Manchester to access my access needs.]

I took my lodger with me so she could learn how disabled people get mobile.

The assessment centre was based at the JB Sports Centre - it's basically a stadium with giant car park.

Initially I sat down facing three people who wanted background info about my disability. They listened to what I said relating to barriers to driving and made notes.

Next we went outside and the first request was to read a number plate from 70 yards. Then I got in one of their adapted Ford Focuses with one passenger at the front and one at the back making notes. Initially, I drove a few circuits around the car park. Then they tested out my spacial awareness by driving through a narrow gap before having a 15 minute drive on the highway.

The car I had was full of adaptations - some needed and some were not needed as it was their test car.

A few weeks later I received a full written report - about 10 pages. I used the report to show Motorbity what adaptations were needed.

I would say that it's a great idea to go trough this process to reassure you and your loved ones that you're still fit to drive with modifications.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-an...ssment-centres
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 02-14-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Things must have changed since I became a disabled driver back in September 2008 as I went to the local Driving Assessment Centre and when I asked about adaption for a car, at that time not knowing anything, their answer was “have you been refereed here by DVLA” and I said “No” and they said “that will be £75 then before we can let you into one of our adapted cars”.
    I told them that DVLA have given me the go ahead to drive with an adapted car after talking to my doctor but they insisted on the £75.

Just on principle I told them there was no way I was going to give them £75 for nothing more than a 10 minute driving lesson and started to take my leave.

Before I could get to the door they called me back then got someone to show me the adaption they thought I might need but to be honest, and I know we like to shoot them down, but the VW dealer’s Motability guy had given just as many pointers for what adaption I needed by just sitting in the car I was going to order through Motability.

Maybe they've changed over the last 11 years, I don’t know, but I don’t think I will ever be going back there again anytime soon.