Thread: Will house move push me on to Universal Credit

Will house move push me on to Universal Credit

Hi Folks
    I'd like to move house to a neighbouring council (from Liverpool to Sefton), but I keep receiving conflicting information as to how this will effect my claim. There will be no other changes that might affect my claim.
    Is anyone able to help answer my questions?

I am in the ESA SG (contribution based). I was migrated from Incapacity Benefit, and still receive a transitional payment from this (this ends next April). I receive no other benefits.

- Is this a simple change of address, or will I be forced onto UC?
    - If I’m transferred to UC, will this be as a new claim and will I have to undertake a full medical assessment? (When I spoke to the DWP they said no, but other sources say yes, as it will be a new claim.)
    - I’ve read UC is only for means tested benefits, but my current ESA is contribution based. I understand there is a new-style ESA, but this is limited to one year.
    - If I’m transferred to UC, how will this affect my benefit? (The DWP said it “I shouldn’t see much change”, and my transitional payment will still be paid.)

I really want to move, but if it means a medical assessment and reduction in benefits, then possibly not!

Many thanks
    Dave

If you are on CB ESA only and have no IR entitlement or premiums and also do not claim housing benefit then the move will not affect you as CB ESA stays separate from UC.

Thanks for that. There's no IR or housing benefit claim, so I should be ok!

As long as you don't make a new claim for help with housing costs (what used to be Housing Benefit) then you can stay on your existing benefits even if they are Income Related.
    You just inform the DWP of the change of address.

It is only if you make a new claim that it has to be UC, which then migrates all your other IR benefits.

With a house move to a different local authority any claim would be a new claim for help with housing costs, so that would trigger migration.

(A new claim for help with housing costs, even if you haven't moved, would also trigger this).

However if you already have an existing HB claim and move house within the same LA then you can stay on HB.
    And for completeness - if you have the SDP with any benefit then by law you can't claim UC.

More info about moving house and UC:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post132744
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.