Thread: New style ESA claim

New style ESA claim

Hi.
    Can anybody give me some pointers towards claiming New style ESA (contribution based). For example, I'm under the impression you have to phone for the application/ or complete it by phone?
    Does anybody have the relevant phone number? I'm also a little concerned they require an appointment interview requiring attendance since my medical condition is such that it would place me at considerable harm if I had to venture out.
    Thank you.

The phone number to claim New Style ESA is 0800 328 5644.

It can be found on the gov.uk advice page for New Style ESA which you should that a read of:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-styl...wance#overview

As I understand the process (although it may have been changed).
    They will take a few details over the phone and send you an application form.
    You can download an example here: There's now a new form see post #5 below.

When you have completed that form you ring them again and make an appointment to take it to the Jobcentre.
    If you are unable to get to the JC, and your GP confirms that, then they can visit you to do this initial interview at your home.
    (As usual there have been problems getting a home visit, they are supposed to have sorted them out but....).
    At the appointment you verify your ID and make a 'Claiment Commitment', don't worry about that CC it doesn't ask you to do anything.

Once your claim has been made:

Everbody who claims ESA, or UC limited capability, must have a Work Capability Assessment (WCA).
    This can be decided on paperwork only if the effects of your conditions clearly show that you are unable to work; but most people have a face to face assessment.
    Again the F2F can be carried out at your own home if in your GP's opinion you could not get to an assessment centre.
    You wait until they send you an appointment then ask for a home visit supplying your doctors supporting letter.
    If you send the GP letter before they have made an appointment it is usually just ignored, it's just the way their system works.

After the assessment you will have one of 3 outcomes:
    1. Fit for Work - You can't claim ESA and have to claim New Style JSA or UC instead.
    2. Work Related Activities Group (WRAG) - You have to visit the Jobcentre occasionally, you have to do some simple activities like writing a CV, etc. You don't have to do any jobsearching.
    3. Support Group (SG) - You don't have to visit the Jobcentre, you don't have to do anything.

If you disagree with the decision you can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration, and then appeal to the Independent Tribunal if needed.

With both ESA WRAG, and ESA SG you will (usually) have reassessments every couple of years.
    It could be shorter depending on what was decided at your WCA.

To give an example, I've been in ESA WRAG since 2011.
    I currently have to visit the Jobcentre once every 6 months, and my 'work related activities' consist of posting on here.
    It was a bit more at the start of my claim, every month to the JC and a bit of CV and letter writing practice.
    I also got sent on the 'Work Programme', again once a month and more CV/letter writing.
    The 'Work Programme' is now closed and its replacement the 'Work and Health Programme' is voluntary for those on ESA, so you don't have to do it.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

When you have completed that form you ring them again and make an appointment to take it to the Jobcentre.
    If you are unable to get to the JC, and your GP confirms that, then they can visit you to do this initial interview at your home.
    (As usual there have been problems getting a home visit, they are supposed to have sorted them out but....).
    At the appointment you verify your ID and make a 'Claiment Commitment', don't worry about that CC it doesn't ask you to do anything.
    I have a condition where I randomly lose muscle/motor coordination.
    Weird. Why should they want to verify my ID and make a claiment commitment face to face when I am already in receipt of PIP and Motorbility?
    Thank you for the previous response.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanamongstfriens View Post
    Why should they want to verify my ID and make a claiment commitment face to face when I am already in receipt of PIP and Motorbility?
    It's a good question that has been asked by many and has not got a clear, official, repsonse from the DWP or Government (yet).

They know who you are, and your details, from your existing claims so why ask for all this again when making a new claim or migrating to UC?

From some 'unofficial' answers gleaned from the DWP by welfare organisations and FoI's it seems quite simple, even though they don't want to admit it openly.

They still believe that everyone on benefits is 'on the fiddle' and so are using it as an excuse to recheck everyones details.

PS. A Claimant Commitment for ESA is not a new thing, for a while now those in WRAG have had to sign a statement saying what our work related activities will be (an ESA49 Work Related Activity Plan), in other words a Claiment Commitment under a different name.
    I signed one of these about 3 years ago after finishing the Work Programme.
    'New Stlye' ESA claims, and UC-LCW/LCWRA have just made this the same Claimant Commitment form as jobseekers but obviously with different commitments.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-19-2019 at 03:14 AM.

As of today there is now a new form to use to make a claim for New Style CB-ESA.
    It's called a NSESAF1
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...esa-claim-form