Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the Council ask that you pay your PIP towards Housing Costs?

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I believe it's UC because lydz has an earlier thread about moving to a different LA.
    Yes , also as the council will soon only be dealing with council tax and the housing list , they are reluctant to get involved or read the rules..

There had been some confusion aboit DHP's and UC from the side of the councils.

DHP's can be paid with UC and I believe that councils have now been sent a memo clarifying that.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Found that memo, it's an update to the good old A7/2018, here it is:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...r-uc-claimants
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-02-19 at 10:43.

Although the info on the gov.uk says "to help with the additional costs of disability", its hard to say where "life " and extra costs begin and end. My PIP is paying the rent and most of the utilities, at the moment. Social care, transport, food and everything else is coming out of savings. No ESA, no DP atm. Basically if you got money in the bank, you can pay the rent. Money's money and once its in your account, you gotta pay the bills.
    You can apply for ESA, but its migrating to UC atm. Which would let you apply for housing benefit.

Why is it such a short tenancy agreement? 6 mths is not much time at all.

An initial 6 months is becoming a standard for private rentals, simply in case the Landlord doesn't like the tenants, they don't pay their rent, or there are other problems.

When the six months are up they usually offer a longer TA if they are happy with the tenant, but some still prefer to do 6 month renewals.

With the current shortage of housing landlords can be choosy about their tenants, but they don't have things all their own way.

When the six months are up it can still take up to a year to evict unwanted tenants - if they don't want to leave.
    First landlords have to give 2 months notice, using the correct form, and all previously supplied paperwork must be in order for the notice to be correct.
    Certain papers have to be given to the tenant at the start, any deposit must be protected in a national scheme and the tenants give 'proscribed information' within 30 days of the tenancy starting, there must be a current gas safety certificate, and an EPC certificate, etc., etc.
    Then they have to go to court for a possession order, which can take up to 10 months and will fail if all that previous paperwork was not correct.
    Only then can they evict, with baliffs if necessary.

It's slightly different if you haven't paid all your rent or otherwise breached your TA.
    That's a different eviction form, and the whole process can be a bit quicker because they don't have to wait for the fixed period to end, but not much quicker.

Evicting someone without going through the process is a criminal offence and landlords have been fined and jailed for it.

PS. If they don't protect your deposit and give you the proscribed information within 30 days then you can sue them for between 1x and 3x the deposit.
    This can apply mulitple times if there have been renewals of the TA, each renewal must have the deposit protected correctly.

There are very few available properties which are within the brackets covered by local housing allowance in my experience. It can be a shock for anyone moving from council accommodation into the private sector, particularly when all or most of the rent is paid. When I have lived in private housing it was no unusual for 1/4 of my disability benefits to be paid for the shortfall in rent, there simply weren't any properties covered by LHA. It is odd to on one hand have a letter outlining "this is the amount the law says you need to live on" in which the difference between social and private housing can make a substantial difference to the quality of life and money you have - despite your individual circumstance being identical.

I appreciate there is now added confusion because of benefit changes and the move to Universal Credit.

I quite understand the point made by odsidianeclipse. My last landlord was private. Although not social, they were reasonable and my son helped with bills. Rent was covered by HB.
    Now I have moved in with my partner. We have a joint tenancy, HA landlord, accessible bungalow, but we have lost HB, ESA and direct payments. So yeah you can't say, oh my PIP is for xxxx......Sorry but the rent and bills need paying and thats where it goes.

Thank you all for your responses.

Of course paying my rent is always number one priority, after all I'd rather be skint but have a roof over my head!

My concern is that as Nukecad pointed out, there appears to be an arrangement between the Council and the Landlord which we have never been made aware of, and nothing is stated in our contract or has been put in writing to us regarding it.

In terms of my tenancy arrangement with the council, please scroll down to the private rented sector offer part on this link to get an idea http://england.shelter.org.uk/legal/...ccommodation#4

The part called Other offers of suitable accommodation made under prevention or relief
    Applies to homelessness applications is most relevant to myself.
    Last edited by lydz90; 25-02-19 at 14:09.

I think you still need to find out just where this proposed £300 rent rise is comming from.

Is it the landlord actually putting the rent up? (In which case see the link to shelters page about rent increases in post #4).

Or is it the council withdrawing some funding? (In which case you need to find just what basis they are using to think they can withdraw it).

Hello Nukecad,

I forwarded my contact from the Council an email from the landlord advising our rent is £950, even though our contract says £718. Her response was she needs to speak to her manager, and then she'll be able to respond to myself, so it sounds like it's the Council who are withdrawing the DHP we did not know about!