Thread: ESA50 what happens when they get your form?

ESA50 what happens when they get your form?

I have to fill in an ESA50 review. What happens when they get it, is it looked at by a decision maker first and if they cant make a decision they then send it off to capita or whoever if they think you need an assessment? or does it go straight to capita anyway. Last time I filled one in 7 years ago a lady rang me to tell me the result and I didnt have an assessment. I am on pip high rate for both, do ESA check pip applications as I had an assessment with pip recently and wondered if they might refer to that?

It's supposed to be looked at by the DWP first, but ....

It is sent out, and goes back to CHDA, they look at it and decide if they need to see you for an assessment or if they can send it straight to the DWP Decision Maker without seeing you.

The DWP have in the past tried to use PIP assessments for ESA, and the other way round.
    But as the assessments are looking at different things, ones about if you can work or not and the others about how you manage your life, then they are not the same so can't realy be compared.
    Some things affect both, but you can have PIP and still work so wouldn't get ESA.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-27-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad, I can only hope then that they might send it to DWP without an assessment as like most people I hate them, they make me so ill. I wonder why they sent me an ESA50 form rather than uc because UC is in my area now, I dont want to go on universal credit though

If your ESA is Contribution Based it will stay as ESA for as long as you claim it.

If your ESA is Income Related you will stay on ESA until either -
    You have a change of circumstance that means making a brand new claim (eg. moving house to a different area) which would have to be a UC claim.
    OR
    Until they tell you it's time to change over to UC, which should be a few years off yet.

Hi, Thanks for your help. I was just wondering what they actually do with the form and extra sheets when it arrives? Is it like Pip where they scan the whole thing and send it to the right department digitally by file? or do they send everything as it is without scanning it? I just wanted to know as I am not sure how to send it to them, stapled all together or left loose or done with a string. I have filled in part of the form downloaded from the net and printed out a lot of extra sheets because the boxes are so ridiculously small

The WCA forms (including the ESA50, and even the UC50 if your are on UC) are not scanned - they are couriered about between DWP and CHDA.

From a DWP reply to a freedom of Information request:
    Following receipt of the ESA50 at the Mail Opening Unit it is forwarded to the
    Assessment Centre using DWP contracted delivery service.
    On receipt the
    ESA50 is recorded and a clerical file set up. All clerical files are stored in
    lockable cabinets and lockable rooms overnight and when not being used.
    The ESA50 and Further Medical Evidence are forwarded to the DWP by
    courier for inclusion in the claimants benefit file.
    If you have a lot of sheets, and there will be if you've printed it off yourself, it's a bit too thick to staple them unless you have an industrial stapler.
    You could hole punch them and use file clips or treasuary tags.
    Something like these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=file+cl...f=nb_sb_noss_1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=legal+t...f=nb_sb_noss_1
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-14-2019 at 02:17 PM.