Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amber Rudd - To Be Announced ( maybe ) - Pensioners And PIP!

Amber Rudd - To Be Announced ( maybe ) - Pensioners And PIP!

" In a major speech to the disabled charity Scope on Tuesday, Ms Rudd will announce that from the spring of this year, disabled pensioners will not have their personal independence payment (PIP) awards regularly reviewed."

Very good news for pensioners if that is going to be the case in the future but shame so many other people will still be required to jump through hoops
    It doesn't state however, what would happen to those of pensionable age, currently receiving Standard Daily Living component if their condition worsened. I assume it would be a matter of claimants asking for a new assessment themselves?

Full article here
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartanntp

I noticed the decision didn't say ALL pensioners.

Why just pensioners?

If you have an illness that medically cannot improve/or be cured should that not be granted no repeated reassessments.

In reality that means the time saved reassessing will be used on reassessing those that cannot improve / or be cured MORE!

Here's the statement from Amber Rudd.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/p...03-05/HCWS1376

We will improve and simplify the customer experience by no longer undertaking regular reviews of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) awards for claimants at or above State Pension age unless they tell us their needs have changed.
    So no "regular" PIP reassessment for pensioners unless you ask for one because of a change of condition.

Just what they mean by "regular" is another question?

I think the paragraphs following that will be of further interest to most -

We will also be transforming the delivery of assessment services. I have established the Health Transformation Programme to undertake the significant task of transitioning the currently separate Work Capability Assessment (WCA) for Employment and Support Allowance and Universal Credit (UC), and the PIP assessment services into one unified, integrated service from 2021…
    To translate that means they want one company doing both PIP and ESA/UC assessments.

This strategic transformation will also open up new opportunities to improve our functional assessments in the future. For example, we will test whether it is beneficial to claimants requiring face-to-face assessments to offer a single assessment for UC and PIP to capture all the information required for both claims in one appointment, reducing the need for claimants of both benefits to attend multiple appointments.
    It's noticable that that paragraph does not mention ESA, so are they not expecting this to change before Managed Migration is finished.
    But even then they seem to be forgetting 'New Style' CB ESA.

They've tried this before, using PIP assessments for ESA and vice-versa, it didn't work.
    The benefits are governed by different regulations and are assessed against different criteria.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-05-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

You're right Nukecad, my disabilities are covered well by ESA descriptors and qualify for the Support Group. However the PIP descriptors are woefully inadequate regarding the very same disabilities and I barely qualify for Standard care and not at all for mobility.

My Consultant Psychiatrist believes I should qualify for mobility however I could not face a reassessment, so will leave it till my next reassessment.

Although I would welcome a joint claim for both ESA and PIP, to save facing the merry go round of reassessments - I would only be happy if they followed the ESA descriptors.

I get ESA by 15 points for the "Conciousness" descriptor.
    "Conciousness" is not even considered in the PIP descriptors.

It may be possible to combine both assessments, with almost double the questions so they are doing 2 different assessments in one.
    A questionaire that's almost twice as big, and a face to face that's almost twice as long.
    Wouldn't that be a waste of almost everybodys time? Especially if they only get one benefit not both.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I was awarded PIP late last year. They awarded me a long award with no need to reapply in the future. So I've gone from a DLA holder to PIP on better rates.

I was told that I wouldn't be assessed again - I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing!!

I received my award last week of Enhanced for both components and a "Light-Touch" review on or after 11th Dec 2028
    Finally a positive result from my *Change of Circumstances* application from June 2018. (I am 57 this year)

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I get ESA by 15 points for the "Conciousness" descriptor.
    "Conciousness" is not even considered in the PIP descriptors.

It may be possible to combine both assessments, with almost double the questions so they are doing 2 different assessments in one.
    A questionaire that's almost twice as big, and a face to face that's almost twice as long.
    Wouldn't that be a waste of almost everybodys time? Especially if they only get one benefit not both.
    Whenever the Conservatives propose a major change like this. I ask myself: "how are they trying to screw me over now?"

I think this one's easy to work out. They want to merge the two assessments so they can screw you out of your ESA and PIP at the same time. Currently, they can only screw you out of one at a time. For example, you have a PIP reassessment with Independent Assessment Services (formerly known as ATOS), the Health Professional screws you over, you go to Mandatory Reconsideration, doesn't get changed, you wait 6+ months for a Tribunal, it's successful and you get back your backdated PIP. Now, during this time you were going through this process of winning your PIP back, you would have at least still been receiving your ESA. And there you have it. They want the ability to take away all your income at the same time.

We all must oppose this change as strongly as possible. It's already difficult enough when you lose either PIP or ESA, one at a time. The prospect of losing both at the same time, would be devastating. The suicide and homelessness rates will explode.

Please let me know if I'm worrying about nothing. But if my interpretation is correct. This is the most sinister policy change they could make.
    Last edited by Greaterstorm; 03-07-2019 at 10:34 AM.

I have to say I was thinking along the same lines!!