Thread: Moving on ESA + PIP question

Moving on ESA + PIP question

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how moving far away from the council area youre in works on ESA & PIP. If I was to move from Manchester to London, would I still receive these or would they stop these benefits?

Thank you.

you MUST notify them of your change of address - but it should not affect your entitlement to them

Contribution Based ESA and PIP would not be affected at all, other than telling them you have changed address.

Income Related ESA could be affected - but only if you made a claim for housing costs (Housing Benefit) with the new Local Authority.

If you did that it would have to be a claim for Universal Credit (Unless you have the Severe Disability Premium with your ESA, or another benefit).
    Making a new claim for UC would Naturally Migrate Income Related ESA into UC.

If you could tell us just what ESA you get we could tell you for sure.
    We'd need to know if it's CB or IR (if you know), if it's WRAG or Support group, and if you get any premiums.
    If you are not sure then if you can tell us how much ESA you get paid we can usually work it out from that.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm in the income related support group for ESA with the serve dis premium.

That's fine then,

Normally with IR ESA that would be Naturally Migrated if you claimed UC for housing costs in a new Local Authority area.

However as you have the SDP then you are barred from claiming UC until you are Managed Migrated sometime in future.

So if you move to a new area you can still make a claim for Housing Benefit there instead of having to claim UC.

(And because you can't claim UC they can't migrate your IR ESA into it, so you stay on that as well).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

That's great, thank you so much.

I really appreciate the reply and answers.