Thread: Timescale for sending esa form back and getting an assessment?

Timescale for sending esa form back and getting an assessment?

Is it another case of 'how long is a piece of string'?
    Or is there an average timescale. I sent it back two weeks ago and have not even received a text to say they have received it.

Our son returned his ESA50 on 24 December 2018, received a letter on 7 February asking him to come for his WCA on 1 March. That’s in Edinburgh - no doubt other offices have different timescales.

I sent mine back on the 29th January and still haven't had a text, or letter for assessment as yet, I know its got there as I sent it signed for and tracked it, so it's just waiting now, this is in Birmingham.

You can give CHDA a ring to ask and make sure they have got it. (They don't usually text you about that).

As for timescales it is a piece of string as you say.

First time assessments get priority and are done fairly quickly, with reassessments it can take much longer.

(My reassessment last year took 11 months between sending the ESA50 and having the face to face).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You can give CHDA a ring to ask and make sure they have got it. (They don't usually text you about that).

As for timescales it is a piece of string as you say.

First time assessments get priority and are done fairly quickly, with reassessments it can take much longer.

(My reassessment last year took 11 months between sending the ESA50 and having the face to face).
    Thanks guys.

I also sent my via recorded tracked delivery, I know how the DWP love to "lose" our reports.
    It's just a matter of waiting then, mine is also in Birmingham.

Ahh the lovely five ways house!! hopefully we will both hear something soon, good luck.
    Last edited by Shellyj; 03-14-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Mine took 5 weeks before getting an Assessment Date, with 10 days notice. I went on Thurs to be told they are running late and I wont be seen today. Now got another appointment for Sat.

The latest statistics about WCAs, MRs, and appeals were published yesterday.

They dont give a figure for reassessments but first time assessments are currently taking 15 weeks from start to decision.
    And those are the priority ones, reassessments take longer.
    (Probably why they are not in the statistics).

I'll add a link to the statistics sometime later when I get home.

As promised here's a link to the latest statistics:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...als-march-2019

Basic extracts -

Since they restarted reassessments in 2016 they are doing more reassessments than first time assessments.

The following apply to first time claims, they don't compile figures for reassessments.

In the 3 months to September 2018 first time WCA decisions (before MR/appeal) were:
    47% Support Group. (Up by 5%)
    21% WRAG. (Up by 1%)
    32% Fit for work. (Down by 6%)

Since 2017 the number of MRs has been constantly reducing.
    At MR in January 2019 -
    43% Who disputed their group had their group changed.
    12% Who disputed a Fit for work decision had the decision changed.
    29% Who disputed a Fail to Attend WCA, non-return of ESA50, etc. had that decision changed.

Appeals are also down, but results are about the same with 65% of appeal decisions currently in favour of the claimant.
    Of those 63% successful decisions-
    0% Were Fit for Work. (Obviously, because FfW would not be a sucess).
    95% Were WRAG
    5% Were Support Group.

Of the 35% appeals where the DWP won-
    99.6% Were Fit for Work. (This is always going to be the biggest group to appeal).
    0.4% Were WRAG. (These will be were the claimant thought they should be SG).
    0% Were Support Group. (Obviously because no one would appeal against SG).

There are more figures about things like claimant condition group and clearance times.

They should include my friend, she failed an ESA assessment last October and had her benefit stopped, she and her 5yr old then had to survive on child benefit and the local food bank.

Luckily I helped her put in a claim for DLA as her child also has issues, she was awarded lrm and lrc so at least she now has some money coming in which has eased things financially.

I took her back to the CAB last week as she was confused (she has bipolar and other MH issues) and thought she'd asked for an appeal. Checking with the CAB they requested a MR on November 7th, they phoned the DWP and apparently it's been "stuck" in their mailing system for over 4 months!. They said they would look at it within 14 days.

That afternoon she had 2 calls from her Job Centre pushing her to drop it and claim UC, lying to her about it being too late for the MR or an appeal, basically trying to scare her into claiming UC.