Thread: Buying an electric car - still get disabled tax exemption?

Buying an electric car - still get disabled tax exemption?

Hi all, I am coming off Motability and family are lending me some money to buy a car. It will be an electric car. Question is as electric cars are tax exempt, can I still get Disabled tax exemption. The Disabled exemption is preferable because it gives other benefits with tolls and not needing to register for congestion charges. Do I have a choice or can I get both?

If you have higher rate PIP or DLA you are 100% exempt from road tax and if your middle rate you can claim 50% reduction but remember that technically the disabled driver/passenger must always be in the car when its being used. Being petrol, diesel or electric should matter none.
    When I transferred from DLA to PIP the DWP gave me a letter to give DVLA when claiming but if you haven't got that you can claim at a Post Office or, I assume, the car dealer should deal with it when the car is registered.

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-di...-and-transport