Thread: Sending my Esa50 late, I rang the dwp and they told me not to worry?

Sending my Esa50 late, I rang the dwp and they told me not to worry?

I’ve been having a really bad time with my mental health and I received my esa50 form for renewal. It’s an existing claim with both physical and mental health issues. In the midst of everything I thought the return date was the 14th if March and I rang up explaining it may be late. She told me not to worry because I’m flagged up as having mental health issues. After trying to organise myself I realised the form should have been in on the 4th and not the 14th. Cue melt down.

I have frantically tried to fill it out but I’m just so physically ill and stressed I’ve took longer and won’t be able to send it until tomorrow, the 16t of March.

I got a payment on the 11t of March,, the woman at dwp told me my money wouldn’t stop, is this true? I’m onicking they will close my claim.

Obviously I’m goijg to explain on the form what has happened with me having a huge break down in my mental health but as anyone got any advice or experience on this? I’m so upset at myself

Thank you in advance

Wiser people than me on here will be able to advise you what your current situation is, but I'd recommend if you're running late again, to ask for a two extension, and make sure they've granted it and get their name, and record the time and date of the call. They normally give them, last time I looked. Perhaps the woman you've spoke to has granted you that without specifically telling you. That should give you to the 18th, but I WOULDN'T take that as a given.

I'd say phone them back today and ask if you've been given a two week extension, tell them about the other phone call you made, explain everything about your problems again, and if you haven't been given one, ask for it.

That's my advice, anyway, but I'd wait for more experienced people on here to give their opinions, before taking action. But I'd say you'll definitely need to call them sometime today to get clarification of your situation.

I'd also send it back some form of recorded/registered delivery, if you can afford it.

All the best.
    Last edited by aendean; 03-15-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana90 View Post
    She told me not to worry because I’m flagged up as having mental health issues.
    That flag will mean that they have you noted as what they call a 'Vulnerable Claimant'.

This means that special "Safeguarding" processes should be followed before they can even consider stopping your ESA.

With an ESA50 that means that they should make careful checks as to just why you have not sent it back in time.
    (This can even include coming to visit you at home to help you fill it in).

Even if you don't send an ESA50 then as a "Safeguarding" measure they just move on to the next stage of the WCA process without the ESA50.

From their own guidance:
    Failure to return the capability for work questionnaire (also known as ESA50 form) as part of the Work Capability Assessment process

Potential consequences for the vulnerable claimant if not safeguarded
    Suspension potentially followed by termination of the claim if no form is provided. Requesting, completing, returning, and processing a new form can mean that claimants are without benefit for weeks.

The safeguarding process
    If a claimant has a 'mental health flag' on their record their case will be automatically referred to the next stage of the Work Capability Assessment (WCA) process
    So while I wouldn't worry too much about sending it late it might be as well to let them know again that you are sending it.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Do the put a flag on all claimants that are claiming due to MH issues ?

I really wouldn’t stress about about but I know that’s easier said that done , as others have mentioned just give them a call to make sure the extension is noted on your account and get the advisers name .
    Let us know how it goes .

Hi sorry for the very late reply. I just wanted to update the thread and say my reasons were accepted and I was given a f2f assessment date. I attended to be turned away, told it was cancelled due to me needing a doctor. I have now received a letter saying I did not attend.

It's just a badly worded standard letter.

Simply ring the DWP (and/or write to them) and explain what has happened.
    Tell them that you did attend but the assessment was canceled by the Assessment Centre themselves as they did not have a doctor available to assess you.

(It happens, they have twice rung me to cancel less than 30 mins before the appt. Of course both times I was already almost there so turned up anyway and signed their 'attendance' sheet to prove I was there).

Did you sign anything at the centre, they should have a 'sign in' sheet/book for everyone who enters the building. (It's a fire safety rule).
    Maybe you put in a request for your travel expenses or something like that.

Do you have any bus/train tickets, etc. to back up that you did go? Tickets have routes and times on them, good proof.
    If needed you could send the DWP photocopies/scans of those, keep the originals yourself.

TBH you shouldn't need to do more than explain that you did go but were turned away, they should then check with the assessment centre.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    It's just a badly worded standard letter.

Simply ring the DWP (and/or write to them) and explain what has happened.
    Tell them that you did attend but the assessment was canceled by the Assessment Centre themselves as they did not have a doctor available to assess you.

(It happens, they have twice rung me to cancel less than 30 mins before the appt. Of course both times I was already almost there so turned up anyway and signed their 'attendance' sheet to prove I was there).

Did you sign anything at the centre, they should have a 'sign in' sheet/book for everyone who enters the building. (It's a fire safety rule).
    Maybe you put in a request for your travel expenses or something like that.

Do you have any bus/train tickets, etc. to back up that you did go? Tickets have routes and times on them, good proof.
    If needed you could send the DWP photocopies/scans of those, keep the originals yourself.

TBH you shouldn't need to do more than explain that you did go but were turned away, they should then check with the assessment centre.
    Hi thanks for your reply, honestly it’s amazing to have some support,

I literally got to the desk, was asked for my letter and I said I’d brought the wrong one which I had. Then someone from behind shouted over ”is it so and so”, we rang them and left a voicemail yesterday etc. I said I had nothing which I believed to be true at the time as id had no notifications. It was a quick conversation, no sign in sheet or offer of reimbursement for travel. I was with my mother who had driven me there in her car. They rechecked my phone number and apologised. The best thing is, this exact thing happened the last time I went for an assessment but without the follow up later accusing me of not having turned up.

I think you’re right though, I don’t think they’ll be any trouble I just can’t do anything about it and there are too many variables for me to contend with. The letter itself made me spiral as I struggle with my mental health which they know about.

I just don’t really understand how I received a letter saying I didn’t attend when they were the ones who cancelled it? The main problem is, I can’t deal with it until Monday and I’m struugling with this. Then I’m worried that I’ll be faced with obsticles in regards to sorting it out and I’ll have to fight to keep my money. This is on top of my bad health and reassessment anxiety. I’m just so angry at the whole thing and it has paralysed me, anxiety wise.

Sorry for the ramble

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana90 View Post
    I just don’t really understand how I received a letter saying I didn’t attend when they were the ones who cancelled it?
    People simply make mistakes now and again, we all do.

It looks that in this case someone didn't note properly that they had canceled the appointment themselves.
    Or possibly that someone else later didn't see that note?

The assessment centre obviously have a record of what has happened, because they know they left you a voicemail.

Someone has simply made a mistake and told the DWP that the assessment didn't happen, without saying why.
    The DWP don't know why it didn't happen, so they send you a letter asking why.

It should be simple to sort out once you can contact the DWP and explain what happened.

(PS. The assessors will probably have already scheduled a new appointment, when my last one was cancelled I got a new one within 2 weeks).

Morning, yea i totally agree that we are all human and mistakes happen, I just felt like the whole thing, wasn’t handled well etc and with my mental health issues, I’ve had a really bad time because of it. I know that’s no ones fault and I would never put that on anyone but I feel quite ill after all the worry.

So update. After being on hold two separate hours due to accidentally putting the phone down the first time... I know. I spoke to someone. She said the letter wasn’t recorded on the system and didn’t really know why I’d got it and that another appointment had been sent out to me in the post (on the 12th whereas this letter was issued on the 11th). She told me to totally disregard the letter I received and that she has noted on the system what she had said to me.

Now I’m an anxious slash suspicious person, to a fault sometimes. I don’t know if disregarding the letter is the best thing to do and I hate that they have zero record of the letter having being posted. In a normal circumstance I’d probably be able to deal with it but this whole process has been a nightmare and I still have the assessment and result, hanging over me.

Will the appointment that they have sent me out, cancel out this “none attendance” letter, or should I be ringing someone else to confirm it? I used the main dwp/esa helpline but the letter has a jobcentre plus heading, do you know if this would have come from my job centre? I’m just scared that my money will stop and I’ll end up in an even worse position.

Sorry for the rambles and questions, I appreciate your replies

The new assessment letter will clearly show that you didn't 'fail to attend' - they don't send a new appointment to those who just don't turn up.

The letter from the 11th has probably been cancelled, (after someone realised there had been a mistake made), and removed from the system.
    The person you spoke to could no longer see it because it's been removed.
    As it's no longer on the system then there should be nothing to worry about.