Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would anyone give me a current account?

Would anyone give me a current account?

Hello,

I'm not really sure where to put this post, as there doesn't seem a relevant place, so forgive me if I've chosen the wrong one. In fact I should probably post it more on a money advice-type site, but I figured there might be people with experience of this on here, so thought it was worth a go, as I suspect it isn't totally uncommon turn of events.

So basically when I became sick, I didn't adjust that well to the loss of income that created and got into a bit of debt on my credit cards. I thought I'd get better and I would be able to pay the debts back, but it didn't happen, the interest built up, and had to default on the payments. I didn't go bankrupt, and the debts still exist, but they're gone beyond 7 years, and should no longer be on my credit record. But I also lost my current account. So now I'm on benefits (ESA and PIP), I assume I have a credit score of zero, and rely on one of the Post Office card accounts to get money.

So, basically I'd like a current account, so I can become part of the modern world again, buy things over the internet, (buying and getting food delivered would really help me with my condition) and get money from a cash machine, instead of suffering the beady, judgemental eye of the Post Office cashier.

But, will any bank/building society give me the time of day, considering my circumstance?

Thanks.

You should be able to get a 'Basic Bank Account' they are supposed to be available to anybody.

Most banks do them

Similar to a Current Account, you can have money (benefits) paid in and set up Direct Debits and Standing Orders, - but there's no overdraft facility.
    You do get a debit card so you can use ATM's, use it in the shops or on the internet - as long as there is money in the account.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...-bank-accounts
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-15-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I agree with Nukecad - a basic bank account is what you need.

I would just add one more thing. Are you absolutely sure that these debts are no longer enforceable.? They only come under the statute of limitations if you have not paid anything towards those debts during the last 7 years. Plus, it is still possible for them to try to come after a debt even if they are statute barred.

Personally I would get in touch with a free debt advice agency - https://www.stepchange.org/ - has good reviews - and check your current debt situation. If there are any debts outstanding then there may be various options that could help.

I only say this because you should avoid any bank that you have debts with as they may be able to deduct monies from even a basic bank account for any outstanding debts.
    I try my best

To add to what PMlindy has said.

Even though a debt is Statute Barred, after 6 years of no contact, it is still owed and can still be chased.
    Statute Barring just means it can no longer be chased through the courts.

So yes, avoid any bank you already owe money to - they could recover the debt from a basic account with them, without having to go through the courts.

Also:
    If whoever you owed got a County Court Judgement (CCJ) against you for the debt then that CCJ is not subject to Statute Barring and can be chased through the courts (again) at any time.
    A CCJ is removed from your credit record after six years but still remains enforceable in court.

My friend ended up in bad debt and she went to step change and they sorted her out .She said they wanted to know how much money she had coming in every week and everything she paid out including food clothes toiletries rent council tax and basicly everything that cost her money.Once she had phoned them she said she had the best sleep for years.

All banks etc will carry out a credit check on you. To find out what they see go to Experian https://www.experian.co.uk

Bank accounts
    There are only a handful of banks who offer a 'Universal Bank Account' One such bank is the Coop 'Cashminder' https://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/c...nts/cashminder

Consolidate your loans
    When you maxed out your plastic and defaulted on your repayments you really should have got financial advice. If you were in that position today all your debts would have been gathered together and put into one low interest pot. They would have asked you to pay off a fixed amount each month over 5 years. If a large proportion of the debt still remains after 5 years it's written off. But you would need to keep to the payment plan as agreed.
    https://nationaldebtexpert.org.uk/?u...idation%20Loan

Your credit rating is based upon how likely are you likely to default on payment. Always try to pay something to show willing!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 03-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks for the replies.

Seems a basic bank account is where it's at, then. Thanks. I might have blotted my copy book again, lately, as I'm behind on my water bill payments (usual letters). Could that affect my ability to get a basic bank account, or does your credit rating not matter for such a basic account? - actually on reading the link I got that question answered, seems I'm ok.

@Nukecad, pmlindyloo they did threaten me with a CCJ, close to the 6 years statute barred date, but I got some advice at the time and was advised to send them a carefully worded letter, which I did, and they desisted, so no CCJs!

Thanks the tips on not using the same bank. Noted!

The debt's a funny one. The bank told me they'd sold it on, and the company that started then contacting me were a known bad debt purchaser, but I can't remember exactly now, but some correspondence made me not 100% free from the bank, can't remember exactly what it was now that made me suspicious that it wasn't totally free from the bank.

@barbiejane they haven't contacted me about it for about 3 years, so it tends not to stress me these days, thankfully.

@Lighttouch, apparently when in my position, making any offer to make any token payment is a VERY BAD idea, even if you just make ONE pound, as it makes the debt legally enforceable again, I was told, so you have to be careful!
    Last edited by aendean; 03-17-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aendean View Post
    ... the company that started then contacting me were a known bad debt purchaser,...
    I've had a few from these over the years, often with regard to 'made up' mobile phone bills for cancelled accounts. (Orange are/were swines for that).

My approach is to write back something like:

"Thank you for your payment request, Reference #######. However I have never previously heard of your company, and certainly do not recall ever purchasing any goods or services from yourselves. But if you will provide me with any details and proof, invoices, etc. of why you think I have purchased something from you and owe you money I'll certainly take a look at the matter".

That way you are not admitting or denying the debt, just saying you'd like a look at their paperwork.

If they have purchased the debt outright (rather than just acting as collectors for the original company) then of course they can't provide anything like that, and so usually drop it.
    Some debts get sold on two or three time to different companies.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-17-2019 at 01:53 PM.

If you would like to get a Current Bank Account with NO CREDIT CHECKS and GURANTEED ACCEPTANCE then go to

https://cashplus.com/

You get an account and a Mastercard Debit Card. It is an online Bank Account and you can get your Benefits paid directly into your Account. If you want to pay in Cash you do this at the Post Office for Free. The only downside is you do not get a Cheque Book and they do no accept Cheques.

I have had an account with them for 12 years and for me it was the best thing I ever did. Go to their web page and scroll down to read what they can offer you and I am sure you will like what you read.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

When I had debt problems and just processed my debt relief order I had no problems opening a Nationwide flex basic account. This is a no frills basic account, What I like about it is that you can do online banking and you get a contactless card. Also if you bounce a direct debit you won't get any returned fees.