Thread: Your stories wanted about "No DSS" Landlords.

Your stories wanted about "No DSS" Landlords.

The Works and Pensions Select Committee want to hear from anyone who has come across 'No DSS' exclusions when trying to rent a property.

They have put up an online survey, similar to the previous one they did about WCA's.

It's part of their ongoing inquiry into the problem of renting a proberty if you are on benefits.

Already as a consequence of this inquiry Natwest have removed a clause from their buy-to-let morgage terms that forced landlords not to rent to those on benefits.
    And today Zoopla have announced that they will remove all 'No DSS' advertising from their website.
    (Of course landlords can still have it as a policy, they just can't advertise that policy on Zoopla).

More on the inquiry:
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...-letter-17-19/
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...017/inquiry18/

The online survey:
    https://ukparliament-self.achieveser...entMessage=yes
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The stories/maybe proposed changes have come a bit late for me, but generally speaking MOST of the properties I viewed/looked at online that were suitable for me and RD's needs were 'No DSS' and so had to be passed by. Even those that let us view often gave us the cold shoulder if we couldn't make an 'instant decision'..

Lets hope something positive comes from the changes nationwide..

It's like any other discrimination.

You can make open discrimination against the law, but people can, and will, still discriminate.
    Just because a landlord can't openly advertise 'No Blacks' doesn't mean he isn't only going to rent to those with a fair skin.

It's a perception issue with some landlords.
    Most of their problem, non-paying, tenants tend to be on 'benefits'.
    Once they've had property damaged or lost money a couple of times they decide that 'no benefits' will magically stop all problems.
    Of course it doesn't, bad tenants are bad tenants benefits or not.
    It's the usual mistaken judgement of everyonebased on the actions of a few.
    (All drug dealers drive cars - so ban cars and it'll get rid of drug dealers).

It will be interesting when Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits get rolled into UC, 'No Benefits' Landlords will find they are barring three quarters of their potential market.
    Currently they don't tend to class CTC or WTC as 'benefits', even though they are. But UC is obviously an Income Related benefit.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.