Thread: Transfer from dla to pip aged 65 years !

Transfer from dla to pip aged 65 years !

I was wondering if anyone has come across this particular issue or can provide advise in relation to this matter.

I currently receive High Rate Mobility and Low Rate Care, DLA as an indefinite award.I am aware this is not a lifetime award and need to go through any processes the DWP require to continue to receive benefits.
    However,I am currently 65 years of age and due to receive old age pension within the next 2/3 months.I am one of the initial batch affected when the Government decided that aged 65 years was no longer the date from which Old Age Pension would be paid and started deferring the dates from which payment would be made.
    I have now received a letter from DWP asking me if I want to apply for PIP as my DLA is ending and to contact DWP by 5th April 2019.

I am slightly confused by this as it seems PIP is for people age 16 years or over and under State Pension Age.
    As I am only weeks away from obtaining State Pension Status this seems markedly strange.

I do notice the letter also covers people receiving DLA and were aged 64 years or younger on 8th April 2013 and are now aged 65 years or younger and I would fall into that category.

Does this mean every individual regardless of age will be asked to reapply for PIP and DLA will not exist?
    Where does Attendance Allowance come into the equation as I thought this was a Care Element Of DLA when they became state pensioners.

Lastly,assuming I do have to go through the PIP process what are the differences between Eligibility For High Rate Dla Mobility and PIP?

Thanks for any help.

Whether you need to transfer from DLA to PIP or not all depends on when you were born:

• If you were born on or before 8 April 1948 you can continue to receive DLA as a pensioner for as long as you still have care or mobility needs.
    • If you were born after 8 April 1948, then you will be reassessed for Personal Independence Payment instead.

So if you were born after 8 April 1948 you will still be transfered from DLA to PIP; even if you have already reached state pension age.
    I assume that all the recent pension changes is why they set it as a definite date like that.

If you don't contact them before 5th April to say that you want to claim PIP then they will just stop your DLA and not replace it.
    If you do contact them and say you want to claim/transfer to PIP then DLA will continue to be paid until a decision is made on your entitlement to PIP.

Attendance Allowance is only for brand new claims made when you are over state pension age so aren't eligible to claim PIP.

I'll leave it to others who have been through it to explain about the transfer and assessment process. (I don't have DLA or PIP myself).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Just to confirm what nukecad said if you already got DLA or PIP before reaching pension age, what ever age that might be today, you still go through the process of DLA to PIP transition.

I went from DLA to PIP at the end of 2017 and I was a pensioner, be it a disabled one.

I had to go to appeal and got temporary chucked of Motability and was worried I could not rejoin because of my age with the retirement limits but it does not matter because I had DLA and now PIP before retirement age was reached.

Thanks for info Nukecad and Chris K

As I was born after 1948 it seems I will have to go through the process and see what comes out the other end.
    The difficulty for me is that it is likely I will be receiving State Pension before the PIP process is completed as I believe State Pension will kick in beginning July 2019.
    Will this cause a problem?

Also any significant differences between qualifying for High Rate Mobility and the equivalent in PIP?

Ta

I was on state pension aged 67 when I was transferred. There was no problem. Just had to go through the whole procedure of form filling, face to face assessment and luckily I got the same award as DLA.
    Regardless of age excepting those who are exempt because of the transfer age cut off date, if you already have DLA you will be transferred just like everybody else.

To get the higher rate of mobility for PIP on purely physical grounds you have to unable to walk more than 20 metres, whereas it was 50 metres for DLA.

As noisynoodle points out although the criteria are similar there are changes like that walking distance one that could trip people up. (pun intended).

Here's the Citizens Advice guidance about how the DWP makes PIP decisions.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ions-are-made/

Of particular interest are the two downloads there, one that gives the points scoring for each descriptor, and the second on translating what the words that they use actually mean.

This government guide goes into more detail; it is meant to be used by the person doing the assessment so lets you know what they are looking for:
    (It's not easy reading as it's not meant for claimants to read).
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sment-criteria
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-21-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi

Many thanks to all for their valuable contribution to the thread.
    I`ll read the various links.

Ray