Thread: Registering New Car in Disabled Class

Registering New Car in Disabled Class

We have bought a brand new car and went to pick it up yesterday but a glitch on DVLA website meant it couldn't be registered so delivery is deferred.
    The garage insists we have to pay the registration fee and road tax initially then we have to change the class and put my non tax certificate number in then claim the tax back. Is this correct?
    I have my doubts as when we bought the last one 3 years ago the garage did it all for us.
    I know things have changed recently so is this part of the changes?

So the issues are
    - the ar couldn't be registered
    - you have to pay the registration fee and road tax initially
    - change the lass to disabled lass
    - claim tax back

I think your supplier is being lazy. When I took delivery of my Motability lease hire car it must ave been classed as 'disabled' from day one.

I can't help but check this out
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-reli...es-notice-1002

It has been taxed now, there is a glitch in the DVLA website. The person who taxes them at that dealership had the same problem with another registration so sent screen shots to DVLA and it got sorted.
    Our car isn't adapted in any way, I am not allowed to drive so no VAT exclusion.

Apparently there can only be one car classed as disabled with free road tax and our current one has that so whichever way we did it there would still be one months tax to pay.
    Took delivery of it today.

This is not a Motability car but our own purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    - change the lass to disabled lass
    That seems a bit harsh, what's the poor lass ever done to you?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Enjoy your brand spanking new car Beau go on, you got to tell us what car you got.

Only a cheap Dacia Duster Essential 4x4, px a 3 1/2 year old one. Never had any problems with that one, just wish I was allowed to drive it.

Great budget choice . maybe you can drive it off road seeing as it's a 4x4

No off road. Where we live we can't get off the street in bad weather, hence 4 x 4. We can get out at all times with it.