Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: benefits rates letter

benefits rates letter

Got the usual letter saying benefit rates what going upto etc i just wondered if everyones letter after how the rates are calculated said apply from april to november? I'm sure it used to just say apply from april and not a to date just wondered if just me or everyone?

Mine just say from April 8th 2019 with no end date.

lots say the Nov end date
    its stupid
    and just because the amount changes in Dec to include the £10 Christmas bonus
    that's why

It's just because of the Christmas bonus.

Not every letter says it because the bonus is only payable with non-income related benefits - so if your benefit is IR only then it doesn't mention November.

While it's technically correct, because your payment changes for that one week, it worries people unnecessarily.
    We get the same question asked multiple times every year when they send these letters out.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the reply everyone though Nuke i was on cb and ir esa this time letter says iresa only cb part as now ended so if i read what you said right mine shouldn't have said november, i had thought it said november on mine because i went over to esa from ib in 2012 was told for 3yrs but it's now been 7 without a reassessment so i'd thought that the nov was when they were going to reasses me then, but since others have also had nov on their letters it can't be that then

I'm not sure why you think that your 'CB part has now ended'?

If you are in Support Group, and initially started on CB ESA, then ESA continues to be CB for as long as you are in SG.
    (And if you were in WRAG then CB ESA would have ended after 52 weeks).

The letters can be very confusing about whether you are getting CB ESA, IR ESA, or both.
    (One of the indications that it's at least partly CB is if they put that November date).

As a transfer from IB your ESA started as CB. - So unless you've just been moved from SG to WRAG then your ESA is still CB (and may have an IR top-up as well).

When I went over to esa from ib i was on £110.35 pw the esa amount at that time was less so every yr that esa went up it brought the CB amount which was the difference between ib and esa rates when going over, down that's why i stayed on same amount for 6yrs this is the first time my esa as gone up because the cb part which was 50p last time as now gone with this esa increase so as such the letter now says ir esa is £111.65 which is more than i was on when went over ib to esa. Hope that makes sent nuke

Yes, but it was the TA that went down as the ESA went up, keeping your fixed payment the same.

Eventually when the ESA got high enough the TA stopped and your then you were just on standard ESA so started getting rises again.

There will be a similar TA scheme with migration to UC, but that will include the total of all your IR benefits that get migrated, making it pretty complicated.

You totally lost me Nuke lol,

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    You totally lost me Nuke lol,
    Yes it's fun trying to get your head round this stuff isn't it?

Try this and see if it makes more sense.

• On transfer transfer from IB you were granted a fixed amount, which was what you had been getting before and was higher than the standard ESA rate.
    • This amount was the ESA rate at the time - plus a 'Transitional Addition'.
    • Over the years the ESA rate went up, but your fixed amount stayed the same.
    • So each time the ESA rate went up the TA went down by the same amount - to keep the fixed amount you were paid the same.
    • Eventually the ESA rate caught up to the value of the fixed amount, and the TA became zero, so it stopped being fixed.
    • Since then your money goes up as the standard ESA rate goes up.