Thread: Smart Meter problems

Smart Meter problems

For as long as I can remember I have paid for my electricity in advance, starting with a 10p coin meter, then a 50p coin meter, a card meter was the upgrade and finally the key meter. The reason I choose this method is I forget to pay bills and also with my supplier its 2p a unit cheaper than paying by monthly DD.
    I was offered a pre pay smart meter which means I can top up online saving taking the key to be charged.
    In November it was installed, but would not communicate with the company so my top up money was not put on the meter. and the meter would not tell the company what I was using..............Long story short, Its nearly the end of March, 18 telephone calls, several Facebook messages and a review on Trust Pilot, I've had four meter changes (all smart meters instead of the requested key meter) and still can't top up. It seems that the engineers forgot to check the mobile phone signal strength in my deep rural setting, if they had they would have know it is non existent and left well alone.
    Good news is I now have to wait another fortnight for the National Grid to install a key meter and then when it is switched to my supplier, a credited key can be picked up from the local shop.
    During all this time I will not be charged for power as they have no idea of my usage.
    That's progress for you.

One of the problems I've heard is that the meter manufacturers have switched production to only make smart meters.

So even if you don't want one that's all they can fit now as a new meter. (and then turn off the 'smart').

Looks like you are getting a 'second hand' key meter, or maybe they found an old one in stock somewhere.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

8 months have passed, and 4 smart meters fitted plus two missed appointments and still no nearer getting my key meter in spite of promises.
    I contacted the Energy Ombudsman who got an immediate response. £50 goodwill payment plus reimbursement of all monies payed and £30 a time for missed appointments, an apology and an assurement that a key meter is to be fitted today.
    Meter man arrived this morning with (drum roll)........another smart meter! That's another £30 to add to my account. Is "wazzock" a word?

I keep getting demanding letters expecting me to read my smart reader for the company as they can not get a reading...…………………. I have a key meter. I have returned the letters and told the company I am not paid to read their meters and if they want to read my so called smart meter then they are more than welcome to do so.

Finally got a result.........£100 goodwill payment, £120 compensation for wasted meter appointments, my balance refunded from the original meter and advice to switch provider.
    That I have done successfully and will have my key meter fitted soon.