Thread: Notice of Telephone Compliance Interview

Notice of Telephone Compliance Interview

Hello all,

My partner received a letter yesterday with the above title, asking that he's available for this telephone interview at a specified date and time. It also advises that he has bank statements available throughout the call.

Has anyone else had this type of interview?

Sounds very suspicious he should not give any details until he's checked the letter out and numbers they are gonna call from. Also check any envelope details and don't give any sensitive data.

It can also be someone has made an accusation about him and they have to follow that up. But you have to phone the DWP to verify the letter.

These are normal and is just a benefits details check done over the telephone rather than calling you down to the Jobcentre.

Your partner being visually impaired is probably why they think over the phone is a better option.

It's not necessarly about someone making an accusation, it's more likely just a random check.
    If it was anything serious then they would definitely have called him in, visually impaired or not.

They are doing a lot more of these random checks at the moment, especially for those who have not been in contact for a while.
    (Often those in SG, who have no work related requirements so never go to the Jobcentre).

Other members here have already had these .

Whilst it's not suspicious and the DWP have done these for years, as Timelord says, you should to check this realy is the DWP.

If in doubt then ask for the interview to be done at the Jobcentre (If your partner can get there).
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-27-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by lydz90 View Post
    Hello all,

My partner received a letter yesterday with the above title, asking that he's available for this telephone interview at a specified date and time. It also advises that he has bank statements available throughout the call.

Has anyone else had this type of interview?
    did it come in a OFFICIAL DWP envelope? do they already have your phone number?.
    these sorts of letters can be photocopied and then just changing the name.
    i would just make sure your happy before giving out bank details.

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay in response, but here's an update.

My partner received the call last Tuesday from the DWP, it started off badly as due to my partner having a severe speech impairment, the officer from the DWP accused my partner of faking his nervousness and said that if he couldn't talk, he'd have to go in to the job centre under caution!

My partner passed the telephone to myself, and then the Officer suddenly changed his tune and was trying to be sympathetic.

It transpires that someone made numerous false allegations against my partner, all of which I rebutted.

The Officer said it would now go to a decision maker, we haven't heard anything yet so I don't know if that's a good sign? If anyone could advise whether the DWP contact you with the outcome I'd be very grateful.

Lastly, the Officer stated in the call "that what we are saying is now legally binding and you cannot go back on your word later".

Now obviously I told nothing but the truth, however, are the DWP allowed to just chuck that at you during these kind of calls?

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

They get thousands of these false allegations, and they know that most of them are mistaken (people don't know how benefits work), or malicious.
    (Fuelled by the "Everyones a benefit scrounger, report them" propaganda in certain parts of the press).

They do waste everyones time following them up though.

IF you make a malicious accusation to the police (crimestoppers) you can be prosecuted for it.
    But you can make as may as you like, anonymously, to the DWP with impunity.

I've been falsely accused/reported twice now and both times after an quick explanation nothing came of it.
    And no, I never got any letter saying that the matter had been dropped.

What he said at the end is just a 'script' that they work to.
    It has no real legal basis at all, no more than anything else you've ever said to anybody.

If they do belive that there is something to answer for then they get semi-legal and call you in for an 'Interview under caution'.
    They read a 'caution' before starting (the same caution as the police) and record the interview as evidence on a dual tape recorder (just like the police).
    Without that caution and recording then anything you have said is just 'heresay'.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.