Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UC and savings

in time goverments around the world will share all information to stop the poor fiddling .
    i notice that brunei dictator is allowed to have assets all around the world made from his peoples oil that he dosnt share any of the oil profit with his own people.

Yes, they use their resources well.

I mean a couple of thousand not declared is exactly the same benefit to nations as tens of billions, but we all know where their focus is, right? On someone such as the OP and if she bought a new computer out of need or want.

Can we really only spend our money on things we need? That would discount a lot of things, including holidays I presume.
    A regular holiday should be fine, a round the world cruise probably wouldn't be.

The whole problem is that there are no set rules about it, it all depends what a Decision Maker deems is 'reasonable' spending.

And it all depends if you spent the money deliberately in order to claim or increase your benefits.
    Guess who decides whether you did or not.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I could understand if you had tens of thousands in your account , the fact that you could have £6005 and then have to go through the fuss off declaring the extra fiver seems ridiculous to me ( but of course I understand it’s the law ) . It would have been better for me not to have cashed in the only valuable item Ive ever owned . I’ve decided that when my MacBook finally gives up I WILL be buying a new one and the DWP can go take a running jump . NOBODY is going to tell me how I should spend the little amount of money I have , these people want to control every aspect of our lives . Paid my taxes my whole life , never asked them for a penny until I could no longer work due to a breakdown, and when I did ask for help they made it as difficult as possible . So if I want a MacBook or to go on a cruise to make myself feel better then that’s what I’ll do .

“What a decision maker deems reasonable spending “

Let a decision maker have access to my MH and what goes on in my mind and then they can tell me what I can and can’t do , I’m sick of these scare tactics . I mean ‘ decision maker ‘ claimant commitment ‘ sanction ‘ these words amongst others are to scare and undermine AND control us.

Well said Pau...i agree with all of the above sentiments.I just hope that one day that somebody from the Government is called to account for behaviour that is undoubtedly immoral.The CONSTANT worry about being sanctioned,losing payments,and in turn being made homeless,due to having very little or no income hangs over many of us.It surely has a detrimental effect on any health problems we are enduring.

someone - in dwp - told me that if I was already on benefits and then spent more of my savings it would not normally be seen as deprivation of capital for benefits as I was already on them
    - of course if it was for the purchase of gold bars or a yacht then perhaps they would have a case!!

because if you just go over the £6k it will only lose £1/wk of the benefit

it is different when over £16k, as that ends the benefit

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    someone - in dwp - told me that if I was already on benefits and then spent more of my savings it would not normally be seen as deprivation of capital for benefits as I was already on them
    That's only partially right, if spending the money would increase your benefits that it is/can be a problem.
    If it doesn't change your benefits then it's not a problem.

The exact phrase is- "Deprivation of capital with a view to claiming or increasing benefits"

(Which gives you another get out if you can honestly say that you didn't know spending the money would increase your benefits, and if they accept your word for that).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Ordered my new MacBook this afternoon - DWP go jump off a very high building, you ain’t telling me how to spend my money !

I stand corrected - I understand

Pau - enjoy your lovely new macbook

Thanks Walker , it’ll be the most I’ve ever spent on myself .