Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M6 Toll - fine!

M6 Toll - fine!

Good news! I've been let off paying an £18 fine for not paying when using the M6 Toll

I decided not to pay and emailed a letter of mitigating circumstances. It's worth writing in - you've nothing to lose.

Here's my letter . . .

I’ve rightly received a letter from the M6TOLL for not paying at the barrier.

I just want to put forward some mitigating circumstances.

I am a disabled person in receipt of the enhanced rate of mobility with PIP.

On this day I was travelling to the Naidex disability exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham. My SATNAV told me to come off the M6 to join the M6TOLL due to congestion.

I don’t normally like getting out of Multi-storey car parks due to trouble getting a ticket in the machine to raise the barrier. So to my horror I was funnelled into a ‘Card only’ paying barrier that wasn’t staffed. I aligned the car up against the machine to contactless debit my card. However, my reach wasn’t long enough so I reversed back and drove nearer. But, again when I hovered my contactless card near the paying machine it wouldn’t debit my card. I could just reach the assistance button that I pressed several times but nobody answered.

By this time I am panicking as the barrier was down at the front and three cars were queuing behind me. I decided to extend my reach by opening my drivers door six inches hovering the card over the pay machine. In doing so I must have lightened the pressure on the brake and my automatic car gracefully moved off and kissed the barrier. The barrier flew up and I had no choice but to proceed forward as there was no where else to go.

If you look at your CCTV coverage you’ll notice me pulling over onto the hard should a hundred yards further on to shut my driver’s door, reapply my safety belt and swing out my mirrors that for some reason had gone flat against the bodywork.

I was quite prepared to pay the toll but I became a victim of circumstance.

My car is owned by Motability, it’s in the disabled class. I’m a wheelchair user with a hoist in the hatchback and hand controls as I’m a one handed drive.

When I worked for my Local Authority I had to park in a private car park with a barrier at the entrance. All I had to do was press my hand held fob that I was loaned that sent a signal to open or close the barrier - a stresss free solution.

Meanwhile, while you decide my fate I’ll apply for a free pass for the M6 Toll to ensure this situation doesn’t happen again

I’m sorry for causing so much trouble.

And here's their reply the following day . . .

Thank you for your email dated 10th April 2019.

I have read your mitigating circumstances you have put forward and have seen the CCTV footage of your journey on 27th March. I agree that you did try to make payment and that you were having difficulties. In light of this I have written off the toll fee and charges for your journey.

You mention in your email that you are in receipt of the enhanced rate of mobility. You may not be aware that you could be entitled to a mobility exemption pass from the M6 toll which will give you free passage on the road. If you would like to read more about this and apply, please see the link below:

https://www.m6toll.co.uk/pricing/#exemptions

Nice one, I think I will apply for this as I will be travelling down that way in August.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Great! I'm glad that my experience will give ou a trouble free passage through the Toll road. When I was travelling on it there was no traffic in front or behind! It's like going back in time - it's almost as if you're the first car on a brand new motorway.

I'd also recommend using the service station on this stretch too.

Happy motoring!

I have held a M6 toll road pass for years, best thing I done
    I have suffered a Traumatic Subachnoid Brain Haemorrhage several years ago, I do struggle to understand quite simple as well as long postings and can be appear to be quite blunt or rude in my post it is not intentional, it is very difficult to find the right word to explain, it is just part of my condition, please except my apologise in advance, due to my injury I am also very sensitive.

... and the pass is valid for (up to) 3 years.

Yes, good to have one. A bit disappointing that you have to apply with them, they could have checked the class tax of the vehicle? to make things simpler... Also, its supposed to be for the driver named on the pass you get and only for the car you apply with. So if I take my wife's car (also disabled, entitled to a pass from them) I wont be able to use my free pass.
    On the other hand... I think nobody actually pays for our passes, it's coming out of their pockets so I shouldn't complain...

I’m into my second M6 exemption card and noticed on the new one it doesn't have my Motability car registration on it whereas my previous one did.

I wonder where the thinking behind that is because it also says in the guff that comes with the card that the reg of the car will be checked against the computer data base to make sure the car is the one registered as exempted.

I’ve wondered what happens if you changed cars not long after getting a new card and think maybe you just ring them and they correct the computer data base without the need to issue another card but end of the day it would be so much simpler to use DVLA data base to check the cars like they do, so I’m told, with the London congestion charge.

The form I filled out requested the number plate, car make, model and colour.

I'm now curious. Do they send you a contactless card or a fob unit to open the barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    The form I filled out requested the number plate, car make, model and colour.

I'm now curious. Do they send you a contactless card or a fob unit to open the barrier.
    Hi Lighttouch,

The card is a bank card size piece of plastic with your photo on it and your personal exemption number.

It has no other security measures with the likes of a magnetic strip or holograms.

I confess I’ve not actually used mine because its a backup encase of hold-ups on the M5/M6 when I make a journey to see relatives in the Manchester area from Bristol and can’t be caught out in a jam though I do now have a urinal type bottle in the car these day’s encase of emergencies but still a problem if I get caught short with cabs of trucks looking over me when trying to pee in a snarl up.

Just to add ive had a m6 toll mobility tag for years they are excellent! Although the services is always busy which is weird cos the motorway itself is dead!!!

The tag is a lot easier than the card as reaching the assistance buttons at unmanned booths is impossible as they are too high and also too low (very poor design)