Thread: Four month old car, windscreen cracked

Four month old car, windscreen cracked

So, sitting in my Outlander at a petrol station, no cars near me, I hear a crack.
    Look around and I see a crack emanating from the passengers side edge of the glass into the middle.

So, for anyone who has a windscreen issue, I will tell you how it went.

Got home, rang RSA, who put me onto Autoglass Motability phone link. who wanted my car reg, the insurance policy number.

Arranged for the screen to be replaced sometime on Tuesday.

Excess is £50 which you pay online before they come out.

Better than paying for the screen, as it’s a heated screen with various sensors on it, the screen retails around £3,000!

I had the windscreen replaced on my old Motability Seat Leon but lucky for me it was a couple of weeks before they introduced the excess charge.

Had a mobile windscreen replacement van come to my home but unfortunately even after telling them on the phone the screen had sensors for the auto lights and auto wipers in it they still brought a standard screen so he had to leave it until the next day when he came back with the correct screen. On the Leon they have a plastic strip that slots between the screen and the bodywork of the car and apparently it’s more or less impossible to remove them without breaking them so of course he broke them and had to come back the following day to slot new ones in taking about 2 minutes all together.

I would have had something to say about my wasted time had I’d had to pay an excess charge.

I had a cracked windscreen in my Hyundai Santa Fe less than a month after picking it up. We were away in our caravan at the time so the Autoglass chap had to come out to the caravan site. When you see the staggering amount of technology built-in to these screens, the £50 excess seems like a bargain!