Thread: Disabled People Understanding PIP

Disabled People Understanding PIP

Hello,

One of the questions the assessor asks a carer or a family member is does the individual claiming understand what they are applying for and understand all the questions? Have you explained it and they can comprehend? To be honest even normal people don't understand some of the questions to be fair as its complicated.

If you say no would that automatically decline you from PIP? Calling a halt of the whole process?

An assessor is there to assess you not what the carer/family think of you. They will address the client and ask whether THEY understand the process and what is happening. Family member can chip in but they will take note of what client does/does not say FIRST.

They ask this now because there have been a couple of court cases in the past year where it was ruled that the assessment was flawed because the claimant either:

1. Didn't understand what the assessment was and what it was for.
      (They may have hundreds of hospital/therapy appointments without understanding what is going on, so to them this is just another).
    2. Because of their mental condition would simply deny that there was anything wrong with them and say that everything was fine.

So if a claimant turns up with a 'helper' they ask the helper if the claimant can understand what's going on.
    It's just a case of trying to cover their backs if it's later said in court that the claimant was incapable of understanding what was happening.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.