Thread: ESA IR and bank statements

ESA IR and bank statements

does anyone know how often the dwp will request statements for people who have over the £6k savings

I am just wondering if they will request updates every year?
    Surely they would want to keep track
    or is it up to me to contact them and if so how often?

(this is not to do with back payment money)

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    does anyone know how often the dwp will request statements for people who have over the £6k savings

I am just wondering if they will request updates every year?
    Surely they would want to keep track
    or is it up to me to contact them and if so how often?

(this is not to do with back payment money)
    Since £1 for every £250 (or part of) over £6000 is deducted from income based ESA then I would be informing the DWP of a change of circumstances whenever you increase or decrease your savings. (Not sure which way round you are talking about)

The reason I am saying this is the DWP will deduct the money in the future if you increase your savings so therefore you should be entitled to receive the extra pound(s) per week if your savings decrease.

Don't forget the deprivation of capital rule if you are spending a fair amount of money - best to keep receipts for any large 'spends'.
    I try my best

the only capital I am spending is either for my divorce - which is costing LOADS - or the money from my backpay which I don't have to declare so far as I know

so yes my 'normal' savings have gone down quite a bit

but what I really was wondering was do they do an annual check anyway? - I would expect them to because nobody's money stays the same, even if it just fluctuates a bit
    I would have thought they would want people to send in bank statements

they have all mine up to end of last year - as they needed them for the back payment