Thread: Applying for PIP While on DLA

Applying for PIP While on DLA

Hi there

I am a full time carer for my husband, who currently receives
    - Cont based ESA (Support Group and no reassessments needed due to his lifelong rare neurological condition)
    - DLA mobility higher rate, indefinite award (awarded in 1990s).

So far, he hasn't been contacted to change over from DLA to PIP and as the rollout is now so far behind, who knows when this will be! However, as his condition has deteriorated significantly in the past couple of years or so, I think he would now be entitled to PIP daily living and probably has been for some time.

My question is, if he were to apply for PIP daily living, presumably he would be reassessed for DLA mobility too? Obviously, I know there is a risk attached to this, but as he cannot walk more than a few steps now with mobility aids, and cannot walk at all without them, only an idiot would assess him as not eligible for the mobility element of PIP, so I think he would have nothing to lose in applying.

Does anyone have any experience of voluntarily applying for PIP when on DLA? Is this a good or bad idea? We can’t decide what to do!

Really grateful for any advice!

Even though you can't now make a new claim for DLA, if you have an existing DLA award you can still report a change of circumstances and get the DLA award changed (to include the care component) rather than applying for PIP.

They will reassess both DLA components, just as they would assess both with a new PIP claim.

The enhanced/higher and standard/middle payments are the same in both benefits, but DLA also has a 'lower' level of care payment that PIP does not include.

See 'Change of circumstances' here:
    https://www.gov.uk/dla-disability-li...your-DLA-claim

If he was born after 8 April 1948 then he will still be asked to change to PIP at some time in the future, they are now saying it will be 2022 before they get everyone changed over.

He could voluntarily apply to change to PIP, he would then be assessed for both components and if/when PIP (either or both components) was awarded his DLA would end.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-17-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

So the DLA criteria would apply rather than the PIP criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    So the DLA criteria would apply rather than the PIP criteria?
    Indeed, it would be a Change of Circumstances to DLA so would be assessed using the DLA criteria.

If you think that for some reason the PIP criteria would get him a better awatd of PIP then that tells you which way to go.

Having been an indefinite awarded DA person who had to wait years before being invited to apply for PIP.

I'd say, considering his neurological condition is deteriorating just apply for PIP.

I also have a neurological condition amongst other things and was awarded more on PIP than I got on DLA.

You don't want to have to go through two assessments!

Just be very descriptive as to how life is under each section. They aren't interested in medical stuff but more interested as to ho the impairment affects his everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    You don't want to have to go through two assessments!
    A very good point, he is going to need a PIP assessment when they do change him over whether they've just done a DLA one or not.

Thanks both (sorry meant to check back sooner). Will have a think about best thing to do. I must admit I am a bit put off by all the PIP horror stories.

You should also consider that you only hear the horror stories.

Many people have no problem at all; so of course they don't have any need to tell their story.