Thread: Marriage Allowance to Universal Credit

Marriage Allowance to Universal Credit

Hi, just checked Marriage Allowance on 'My HMRC Online'. Status is ACTIVE. We are no longer eligible as husband left employment due to disability. In receipt of ESA Support Group joint claim since January.
    So my question is, why is Marriage Allowance still showing Active if partner left employment? It gives me the option to Canel it, but WILL THIS KICK OF A UNIVERSAL CREDIT CLAIM as a change in circumstances. I'm holding out for transitional protection, and do not want to be forced to UC.
    Anyone know if cancelling Marriage Allowance on HMRC will prompt UC claim?
    Nightmare!

Marriage Allowance is a HMRC tax scheme to enable part of someones personal tax allowance to be transfered to their partner.
    eg. If the lower paid partner earns less than £1250 and so is not using all of their personal tax allowance.
    https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

It's a tax measure and has nothing to do with DWP benefits.
    You can cancel it or leave it in place as you wish.

The only thing that triggers a Natural Migration to UC is if you make a brand new claim for an Income Related benefit.

In practice for those already on ESA that is usually a new claim for housing costs (the old Housing Benefit) when you move to a different LA. (It could also be a new claim for what were Child Tax Credits or Working Tax Credits).
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-18-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

You're a star! Thank you as always Nuke ????