Thread: Anybody been to Amsterdam!

Anybody been to Amsterdam!

Hi All, As title says, we're after advice on a 3 or 4 day trip to Amsterdam.

Looking to go around middle of June as this is 12 months post stem cell transplant to 'concrete' a new chemotherapy treatment especially researched for type of cancer I was diagnosed with 18 months ago (whilst I was receiving radiotherapy for relapse of Lymphoma!) & we told to 'prepare for the worst'! So, still here :-) & it is also to celebrate both 50th birthdays.

Up to this point, we have looked online and understand there are many 'areas' around the centre of Amsterdam, & this is a part of this post! Looking for a hotel, for a couple for 3-4 nights, which will allow us to visit main areas & see main tourist points (?) (not including the red light area/similar! although we would have to take a walk down main street in day light hours 'for the experience'). Maybe help if I added 1 of my problems is my mobility, although not wheelchair bound, yet.

Wondering if best booking by ourselves (hence reason for advice/recommendations for hotels) as our flights can be booked quite easily. However, bearing this in mind, is it advisable to still book with travel agent even though this could incur higher cost?

Hoping somebody can throw some advice this way and if any added info needed, always happy to elaborate.

Many, many thanks for reading.

Amsterdam is amazing, been there only once and long time ago. Unfortunately don't remember the hotel name where we stayed. Soon I will go on holiday and stay here in Berlin property, hope I will like it there. Heard many nice things about this city.

Never but wish to go there

I have heard a lot of good reviews about Amsterdam. but never visit this city I wish to visit this city once in a lifetime and share our thoughts with people Thanks

Hi All, Having a general look n website and forgotten about this post, thinking really should just gie an update!

As Jurdian, above says, Amsterdam is amazing! We 1stly noticed how clean all areas are and wow, just wow, at the amount of bicycles! Flight was only just over hour and was early morning departure so we could take advantage of extra time (original flight would land us late afternoon and therefore loss of a day as was only 4 day visit). Also chose later return flight for same reason.

Hotel was small, maybe 8-10 rooms to floor and 3 floors. Rooms were small but coped with this. Our room, on top floor, overlooked main road which was a very pleasant view due to cleanliness and architecture of building in sight. All residential homes, detached and flats. Best part was we were seconds from one of main parks (Vondelpark) which had a large area for sitting out and allowing residents and visitors to 'chill out'! Also had a decent cafe where we ate most of the time. Prices were similar to here and same for eating out. 2 courses and drink each = 40 Euros! If not starving, great fresh cooked pizza place which allowed us to share 1 main between and had no problem in bringing 2 plates for us to share. All you have to do is ask. Also had a 'picnic' in room 1 evening so as not to miss Emmerdale!

Tramstops within easy reach of hotel to city centre. Not a massive centre but still would need to use tram to get from 1 side to another. We divided the sightseeing into different areas that we saw over 2-3 days. Red light area is also a must see! We checked out part of main street and number of windows that are actually 'rented out' has to be seen to be believed-it really is just like you see on tv shows! We were there just after lunch, around 2.00 pm., and it was quiet-didn't go down in the late afternoon/evening. There were a few windows that could be viewed & I won't descrine contents as it may ruin 'surprises'!

1 of the most amazing things I noted (many would call me for this) was that on the tram itself, it had a small kiosk from where you could buy your travel ticket as well as ticket offices situated throughout the area and machine at every stop. I just loved the fact that every tram had a ticket kiosk manned by a member of staff! Why can't they do that here?!

The Vondelpark itself, is massive, as are other parks surrounding centre, as per google view and planning of sightseeing. Overall we had a superb 4 days and for 2 people-flights, taxi to airport, transfers in Amsterdam, hotel (room only), and return travel home from airport-£500.00. We took 500 euros spending and returned with 150! So from leaving home to return all costs-£850 for 2 people 4 days.

Brilliant time had & can't wait to return.