Thread: Non Motability car

Non Motability car

As we had to buy our own Wheelchair car! as not entitled to ‘Motability car’.
    Is there anything such as road tax help? £280.00 ( probably jumps another tenner at end of year)!
    so forking out insurance plus servicing.?

The high rate for mobility of PIP entitles you to free road tax. The lowest rate for PIP mobility gives you a 50% reduction on road tax.
    Do you get PIP, if not apply for it.
    Last edited by beau; 05-01-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Have you tried getting the VAT refunded?

Just to clarify for anybody else reading the bit about the VAT refunded... which I guess it's not the case for the OP, here's a relevant quote from the government website:
    You can use this form to claim relief from VAT if you (or for whom the vehicle is being purchased) meet all of the 4 following conditions when purchasing the adapted motor vehicle:
    - you’re normally a wheelchair user
    - it’s only purchased for personal and domestic use
    - your vehicle has been permanently and substantially adapted to meet your requirements
    - you haven’t (since 1 April 2017) obtained a VAT free vehicle under this relief in the past 3 years.
    I am thinking that if somebody is a wheelchair user they surely should qualify for PIP higher rate and Motability, right?

Colin_21

That is what you think, yet despite needing a wheelchair to help me get around outside for many years. When I first applied for PIP years ago and at the time using my wheelchair, I only qualified for Standard level for Mobility.

Reviewed last year, this time got Enhanced, sad to say sometimes I think it can be the luck of the draw with who assesses you.