Thread: Can i apply for car tax

Can i apply for car tax

Hi all
    I receive PIP, and in the award letter there is info about applying for car tax.
    It says to pick up a form from Post Office, which I have done, but 'm not clear about how to go about filling it in.

I don't drive myself, so the tax would be for my son, who drives me to appointments, visits to family and shopping.

I'm just unclear about how to go about it.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers floppyfeet

From the .Gov.uk Website:

Vehicle tax exemption
    Eligibility
    You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you get the:
    higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
    Armed Forces Independence Payment
    The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.
    It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It cannot be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.
    You can only have one vehicle tax exemption at any one time.
    How to claim
    You claim the exemption when you apply for vehicle tax.
    If you’re claiming for a vehicle for the first time, you have to claim at a Post Office. You must do this every time you change your vehicle.

Vehicle tax reduction
    Eligibility
    You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.
    You cannot get a reduction for getting the DLA lower rate mobility component.
    How to claim
    You must include the following with your application:
    a letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your PIP rate and the dates you’re getting it
    the vehicle log book (V5C)
    a V10 form
    an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle
    an insurance certificate or cover note (if you live in Northern Ireland)
    Do not send your PIP assessment or any other medical information with your application.
    If you’ve just bought the vehicle and it’s not registered in your name yet, you’ll need to complete a V62 form and include the green ‘new keeper’ slip from the log book with your application.
    Send the documents to:
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1DZ

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-di...-and-transport

Hope that helps.

Just remember that the car must ONLY be used for the disabled person -- so with them IN it or on an errand for them! ! Meaning -- your son can use it to collect your medicine, take you out etc BUT he cannot use it for himself - eg going to work. I knew somebody who was prosecuted for just that.