Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of 'regular' PIP assessments for pensioners.

End of 'regular' PIP assessments for pensioners.

I touched on this when answering a recent thread, I'll expanded on it here:

In a House of Commons library briefing it was reitterated that they are going to stop 'regular' PIP reassessments for those over pension age, unless they report a change of circumstances:

The DWP also announced on 5 March 2019 that it would no longer be undertaking regular reviews of PIP awards for claimants at or above State Pension age unless they report a change in their needs. The Department expects to implement this policy from late Spring 2019.
    https://researchbriefings.parliament...mmary/CBP-7820

Just what this will mean in practice is yet to be seen.

I suspect that all those reaching (or already over) pension age will be given 'ongoing' awards PIP at their next reassessment.
    'Ongoing' PIP awards have 10 year reviews.

Why they are doing this is anybodys guess, but it maybe to try and cut down on the reassessment backlogs.

(More cynically it may be an attempt to remove PIP mobility component from all those above pension age, so that it becomes more like Attendance Allowance).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Having talked to DWP and as a Oap due for review today,being transferred to PIP from DLA ,I asked the implications of the Minister`s statement as hoped I would not need to be given a medical assessment today.
    I was told I was regarded as a re assessment and not a New Claimant,and even if I cancelled application for PIP,I would be regarded as re assessment.

If I want to complain must go through MP as information from Minister so recent.

Quote Originally Posted by ray2 View Post
    Having talked to DWP and as a Oap due for review today,being transferred to PIP from DLA ,I asked the implications of the Minister`s statement as hoped I would not need to be given a medical assessment today.
    I was told I was regarded as a re assessment and not a New Claimant,and even if I cancelled application for PIP,I would be regarded as re assessment.

If I want to complain must go through MP as information from Minister so recent.
    The announced 'Light Touch' reviews/reassessments will apply to those already on PIP.

Those like yourself who are transfering from DLA to PIP will need an initial PIP assessment as part of that process.
    This is because the PIP assessment is different from the DLA assessment.

Once you have had that initial PIP assessment then as a pensioner with PIP the 'Light Touch' should then apply, and you should not need another for at least 10 years.

Just how will this affect PIP claimants who are now over 65 years ?
    Will their existing award be modified or is a re-assessment still on the cards when the present award expires ?
    Call me Mike.

Having coming back from re assessment thought would share my thoughts on the process.Have to say the person who carried out the assessment was very pleasant and courteous.
    Only negative comment I had was after interview process I was asked to carry out a series of physical tests.Nothing rigorous but designed to test functions of neck,shoulders back hands,fingers,legs and feet through a series of movements.Only after the process was completed was I advised I could have refused but I indicated I was trying to co-operate.I am limited what I could do anyway.
    However,the length of time the reassessment took me completely by surprise.From the moments I was asked to the interview room till the time I emerged from the interview room was a minimum of 1 hours and fifteen minutes..Quite a lot of the time is spent with the assessor typing up the assessment each time you answered a question.None of the questions were difficult to answer and related to the form but impossible to remember exactly what was stated on the form and you got the feeling the form and answers had to be spot on identical.
    Just need to wait on decision and I understand you can ask for a copy of your assessment.
    Unsure whether this is a typical reassessnt for an Oap but certainly not the light touch.

Gus
    As I understand it after talking to DWP all of what you read only applies to over 65`s from 31st May already on PIP and been through an assessment for PIP as 1st time claimants or had a reassessment for PIP already if previously on DLA. Reassessment is different from new claimants. So if you`ve never been assessed for PIP you will get re assessed whether OAP or not if you`ve been on DLA.

I stand to be corrected if my understanding is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by gus607 View Post
    Just how will this affect PIP claimants who are now over 65 years ?
    Will their existing award be modified or is a re-assessment still on the cards when the present award expires ?
    It's not clear yet just how/when they are going to implement this.

But when you break down what they have actualy said without all the propaganda statements then it's quite simple.

Your existing PIP award still has a fixed end date, so you will need to be reassessed then.

I expect that they will ammend the current PIP legislation to add a clause that says anyone over pension age who had a PIP assessment or reassment must be given an 'Ongoing' award with a 10 year review date.

The law already allows for 'Ongoing' awards with a 10 yearly review, where your conditions are unlikely to improve and/or only deteriorate.
    Currently about 18% of PIP awards are for 'Ongoing' periods.
    So it just a question of applying that award to all oap's at their next reassessment.

They could actually do that with guidance rather than ammending the legislation, but it's better for all if it's changed in the law.

Either way you will need to have your next reassessment before you go onto the 10 year reviews.

Thank you very much for the replies.
    Call me Mike.

Hi nukecad;
    I am sure you are right in respect of what you say.

My understanding is that any OAP currently on DLA will need to be re assessed for PIP and doesn`t matter whether OAP before or after 31st May 2019.
    Important that people understand the difference between re assessment and new claimant.

From the Minister`s statement it means that OAP`s who have undertaken a PIP Assessment would be given a term of 10 years before next review and then it would be the light touch whatever that means.However,I am unsure whether there is a category for indefinite as with DLA which would be used for applicants with a permanent disability.
    It seems to me where a consultant says there is a permanent condition which is not going to improve and the person has been through an assessment and granted Enhanced that there is absolutely no need for any further re assessment at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by ray2 View Post
    I am unsure whether there is a category for indefinite as with DLA which would be used for applicants with a permanent disability.
    It seems to me where a consultant says there is a permanent condition which is not going to improve and the person has been through an assessment and granted Enhanced that there is absolutely no need for any further re assessment at any time.
    The term with PIP is an 'Ongoing' award, rather than 'indefinite'.

That means that there is no fixed end date to the PIP award, but it will/should be reviewed (not reassessed) every 10 years.

That's what they are meaning when they talk about it being 'Light Touch' - It's a review rather than a reassessment.

The next question has to be what does a 'review' actually mean? How do they do it?
    And TBH I don't know, it's something I've never looked at.
    (Guess I'm in for some reading).

Is there anyone on the forum with an 'Ongoing' PIP award who has had one of these 10 year reviews yet, so can tell us how they did it?