Thread: Awful PIP assessment

Awful PIP assessment

I had my PIP reassessment medical today.

It was really awful. I just had a good ESA reassessment and the man was really understanding and nice and said he wouldn't keep me too long as he didn't think I should be there.

This one was awful. They kept delaying me as they said she was reading the forms. I got into a panic and had a panic attack, I couldn't breathe and was struggling. When she did call me, I couldn't move off the seat as I was in such a state, she didn't say anything, didn't say I could take a minute, ask if I was OK, nothing, just stared.

The whole thing inside went well over an hour and a half, my body seized up completely being on the chair so long. It was awkward and me and my carer both knew it just didn't go well. There was silences where she just stared, asked no questions. I couldn't really understand what she wanted from the 'physical' as my chair was angled in towards the desk and I couldn't move the chair and myself to have space, it was odd and she seemed annoyed.

The questions were non stop, do I have a smart phone, do I have internet access, can I google. I don't think there was a stone left unturned in my life.

It just wasn't good, you know when you know something deep down, I just know this went badly and so did my carer, she's already looking in what you do next if turned down. I feel sick if I think about it, I just know it'll be a poor result or none at all, it was just so bad.

Over an hour and a half for a reassessment when my condition is unchanged. I don't know what I'm after, just needed to get it out of my head.

Hello birdwatcher

I'm sorry to hear you feel your assessment went badly today.

I can imagine how you are feeling, the dread, the rerunning of the whole assessment - but what's done is done now.

You know the next process, wait a few days then phone and ask for a copy of the assessors report. You just may be pleasantly surprised.

If as you fear you are not - once you receive that report you can get to work on how you felt undermined during the assessment. If necessary highlighting anything the assessor has got wrong, using any evidence you supplied to show how they are wrong.

Getting proactive about the injustice you feel you have suffered during the assessment will help give you the fight you know you will need to take this on to a tribunal - should you need to.

But let's wait and see first, I know easy to say but remember you're not alone in this.

Yes, I just have to wait now, I just keep going over it and over it.

As it was early I was very fatigued, in a lot of pain from sitting for so long in the chair and having had the panic attack, just tired. I couldn't make sense of what she wanted from me and what to do with my feet and legs and also why and what real relevance it had for me, you know. And then when I said it would be hard to move that way and the chair was kind of jammed she said that I would have to move to leave.

I don't know, the whole thing was just off I think. And it's the first time I've had one and felt like this. My anxiety is really taking a hit.

I know it may sound silly, but I can't get it out of my head, I keep kind of seeing it and feeling the silences where I didn't understand what she wanted of me and her tone of voice.

I really don't think if I'm denied I could even bring myself to hear what the report says to appeal it.

God I feel so low now.

Hello Birdwatcher

Sounds very much like you're reliving it over and over again.

I really do understand just how hard it is to stop doing that but it really does serve no purpose. It certainly doesn't help you or your mental health and it doesn't change what the outcome will eventually be.

Be kind to yourself this weekend... if a favourite cake, meal, film, place to walk, music to listen to, or friend to chat to, helps you to relax this is the weekend, do it, for your health's sake.

always fight for a paper based assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by pipsaholic View Post
    always fight for a paper based assessment.
    How can you do that though? I did highlight how much distress I was in before and how hard I found the F2F.
    I provided detail on all questions.

How can you really avoid an assessment?

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Birdwatcher

Sounds very much like you're reliving it over and over again.

I really do understand just how hard it is to stop doing that but it really does serve no purpose. It certainly doesn't help you or your mental health and it doesn't change what the outcome will eventually be.

Be kind to yourself this weekend... if a favourite cake, meal, film, place to walk, music to listen to, or friend to chat to, helps you to relax this is the weekend, do it, for your health's sake.
    Thanks very much.

Yes, I am reliving it. It's calmed down a little now, I think that I have to try to let it go until I get the result, but then I'll have like a flash back of it all and it comes back. But there's nothing I can do now. If it's gone, it's gone.