Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esa/sdp

Esa/sdp

Hello all,

I have been on ESA income-related Support Group & PIP since 2013.

I live with a parent who is quite elderly and they do not receive carers allowance for me

According to my ESA rates letter from April I am currently in receipt of Enhanced Disability Premium at £16.40 I feel I am eligible for the Severe Disability Premium

I have gone through the form for SDP with an call handler from the ESA department yesterday, does the SDP get backdated if accepted?

The Gov website states that the person living with you has to be on a qualifying benefit which my parent does get(Attendance Allowance)
    Along with Pension Credit which isn't qualifying.

Is there anything else I've missed?
    Last edited by Beddz; 05-21-2019 at 09:41 AM.

All sounds fair enough.

The disability premiums can be backdated to whenever you qualified for them.
    Which in your case would be the latest one of your ESA award, your PIP DL award, or your parents AA award.

That's what's happening with the big IB-ESA review, they are backpaying years of the disability (and carer) premiums.
    Have you been contacted as part of that review or did you contact them yourself?

As you have already gone through the form over the phone then it's just a question of waiting.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    All sounds fair enough.

The disability premiums can be backdated to whenever you qualified for them.
    Which in your case would be the latest one of your ESA award, your PIP DL award, or your parents AA award.

That's what's happening with the big IB-ESA review, they are backpaying years of the disability (and carer) premiums.
    Have you been contacted as part of that review or did you contact them yourself?

As you have already gone through the form over the phone then it's just a question of waiting.
    They originally sent me a form out through the post a couple of weeks ago which I ignored, I thought I wasn't eligible for it because I live with someone.

On Friday night I got a phone call from a private number saying they were from the DWP and asked why I hadn't returned the form, the lady said they could arrange have someone come out to me to help fill it in (Visitors Team she called it)

I declined the offer of someone coming out to my home and asked to end the call. I then phoned the ESA helpline to confirm if the call I'd received was genuine and they said that yes someone had been trying to get in contact with me regarding the form.

I asked if the form could be completed over the phone, it took around 10 minutes after the form was completed the call handler said he had emailed it over to the department who deals with my claim and I should get a letter soon with the outcome.

I did ring the ESA helpline again this morning to make sure they are aware my parent receives the qualifying benefit and they noted it down on my account notes. The lady this morning did say that they use a database to check what benefits all people get who are mentioned
    Last edited by Beddz; 05-21-2019 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Re-written

That's fairly normal then, it's part of the big ongoing review of IB to ESA transfers.

They are looking at when you transfered from IB to ESA, so should pick up that you should have has SDP from then - provided you did have PIP and your parent had AA at the time.

It seems a bit odd that you are currently being paid the EDP but not the SDP. (PS. EDP is £16.80 now).
    That says that you do already have an entitlement to an Income Related ESA top-up (the premiums) as well as Contribution Based ESA, so should be entitled to both premiums.
    Maybe they just didn't know about your parents AA.
    Or possibly if you weren't already claiming SDP with IB they may have just thought that you didn't qualify, and didn't check.

So as said it's just a case of waiting for them to get back to you, it will usually be weeks not days.
    You seem to have gone about it a bit of a rondabout way,with the various phone calls, but hopefully all the information will get where it's needed.

If there is any problem, or if they say that they aren't going to backpay anything then get back to us and we'll help you sort out what is going on.

It might help us work things out if you could let us know:
    When (what date) you transfered from IB to ESA?
    Have you always been in Support Group on ESA? (And have you always been getting the EDP?)
    Were you getting DLA/PIP at the time, or did you claim that later?
    Was your parent getting AA at the time, or did they claim that later?
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-21-2019 at 01:45 PM.

That's fairly normal then, it's part of the big ongoing review of IB to ESA transfers.

They are looking at when you transfered from IB to ESA, so should pick up that you should have has SDP from then - provided you did have PIP and your parent had AA at the time.

It seems a bit odd that you are currently being paid the EDP but not the SDP. (PS. EDP is £16.80 now).
    That says that you do already have an entitlement to an Income Related ESA top-up (the premiums) as well as Contribution Based ESA, so should be entitled to both premiums.
    Maybe they just didn't know about your parents AA.
    Or possibly if you weren't already claiming SDP with IB they may have just thought that you didn't qualify, and didn't check.

So as said it's just a case of waiting for them to get back to you, it will usually be weeks not days.
    You seem to have gone about it a bit of a rondabout way,with the various phone calls, but hopefully all the information will get where it's needed.

If there is any problem, or if they say that they aren't going to backpay anything then get back to us and we'll help you sort out what is going on.

It might help us work things out if you could let us know:
    When (what date) you transfered from IB to ESA?
    Have you always been in Support Group on ESA? (And have you always been getting the EDP?)
    Were you getting DLA/PIP at the time, or did you claim that later?
    Was your parent getting AA at the time, or did they claim that later?
    I was never transferred from IB to ESA, my first ever claim for ESA at the end of 2013.

Yes I have always been awarded the Support Group since 2013 recently passed my medical at the start of 2019 review due in 2021, not 100% sure on the EDP I don't think I've been getting it at the start of being put in the Support Group no. Is there any way of finding this information out I have shredded all my previous April updates to benefit amounts

I was accepted for PIP middle of 2014, Enhanced Daily Living/Standard Mobility current award runs out in 2022.

Its my grandfather who I live with and he started claiming AA middle of 2015.

What's the best way about finding out when was the first time I received EDP?
    Last edited by Beddz; 05-21-2019 at 02:35 PM.

It seems odd that they were trying to contact you about this and had seny you a form if you weren't a transfer from IB?

I'm not sure why they would do that unless you asked for one.
    If you still have the form could you tell us what number is at the bottom of the page?
    (It should be ESA#, or maybe IS#).

From what you say you started to qualify for the SDP in 2015 when your grandfather was awarded AA.
    (I'll work out how much you may be owed when I get home later).

I wouldn't worry about the EDP, as you are already getting that then assume it started when it should have. (or you wouldn't be getting it now).

Sorry for the confusion, I had assumed this was about the IB-ESA review.
    It's obviously something else, if you can tell us that form number we may be able to work out just what.

It seems odd that they were trying to contact you about this and had seny you a form if you weren't a transfer from IB?

I'm not sure why they would do that unless you asked for one.
    If you still have the form could you tell us what number is at the bottom of the page?
    (It should be ESA#, or maybe IS#).

From what you say you started to qualify for the SDP in 2015 when your grandfather was awarded AA.
    (I'll work out how much you may be owed when I get home later).

I wouldn't worry about the EDP, as you are already getting that then assume it started when it should have. (or you wouldn't be getting it now).

Sorry for the confusion, I had assumed this was about the IB-ESA review.
    It's obviously something else, if you can tell us that form number we may be able to work out just what.
    IS10 form is the one that was sent off yesterday for a decision she said it would take around 2 weeks hopefully.

Rang the AA claim line earlier and they confirmed my grandfather's AA was active from the 12th September 2016 so not 2015 as I had originally thought, still works out to be just over 2 years worth of SDP that hopefully I should get backdated.

Sorry for the confusing you I'm not very good at this forum stuff. I couldn't understand why I got the phone call on Friday was just a private number but about the form and was wondering why I hadn't filled it in and sent back then she offered to make me a Visiting Team appointment so they could fill it out with me(I'm mental health based for ESA/PIP) maybe that's why I was chased up? Who knows I actually thought it was a hoax call at first or someone trying to gather information about me.
    Last edited by Beddz; 05-21-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Great - I thought it was probably an IS10.
    That is the form used to get the SDP added to a benefit.

I'm still not sure just why they sent it out if you didn't request one, but they do seem to be double checking things with premiums recently, especially if you have a Mental Health or vulnerable 'flag' on your DWP file.

Even better that you could give the date for the AA award.
    I'm in the pub at the moment but when I get home I'll work out what I think you should be owed.

Great - I thought it was probably an IS10.
    That is the form used to get the SDP added to a benefit.

I'm still not sure just why they sent it out if you didn't request one, but they do seem to be double checking things with premiums recently, especially if you have a Mental Health or vulnerable 'flag' on your DWP file.

Even better that you could give the date for the AA award.
    I'm in the pub at the moment but when I get home I'll work out what I think you should be owed.
    Roughly 2 years 8 months ago right as of now so I'm guessing its like £65.85x4 for a rough monthly amount x32 months = £8428.80 Is that right I'm assuming so

Sorry for the delay.

From what you have said above, (and assuming that you don't/didn't have savings or other income and nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you), then I calculate the backpay of SDP you should be due is:

Sep 2016 to Apr 2017 29 weeks x £61.85 = £1793.65
    Apr 2017 to Apr 2018 52 weeks x £62.45 = £3247.40
    Apr 2018 to Apr 2019 52 weeks x £64.30 = £3343.60

Total backpay due Sep 2015 to Apr 2019 = £8,384.65

There will also be a bit more due from April 2019 to whenever it is paid at £65.85 a week.

And of course you will get that extra £65.85 a week SDP ongoing.

The backpay will be disregarded (it won't affect your current benefits) for 52 weeks from when you get it.
    After the 52 weeks then any left over £6,000 will reduce your ESA by £1 for every £250 (or part of £250) over £6,000.

I always advise that if you get a large amount of benefit backpay that you open a new account to put it in.
    That way it's kept seperate from your other money so it's clear that it is the disregarded backpay and not general savings.