Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Esa/sdp

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Sorry for the delay.

From what you have said above, (and assuming that you don't/didn't have savings or other income and nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you), then I calculate the backpay of SDP you should be due is:

Sep 2016 to Apr 2017 29 weeks x £61.85 = £1793.65
    Apr 2017 to Apr 2018 52 weeks x £62.45 = £3247.40
    Apr 2018 to Apr 2019 52 weeks x £64.30 = £3343.60

Total backpay due Sep 2015 to Apr 2019 = £8,384.65

There will also be a bit more due from April 2019 to whenever it is paid at £65.85 a week.

And of course you will get that extra £65.85 a week SDP ongoing.

The backpay will be disregarded (it won't affect your current benefits) for 52 weeks from when you get it.
    After the 52 weeks then any left over £6,000 will reduce your ESA by £1 for every £250 (or part of £250) over £6,000.

I always advise that if you get a large amount of benefit backpay that you open a new account to put it in.
    That way it's kept seperate from your other money so it's clear that it is the disregarded backpay and not general savings.
    Thanks Nukecad good call on the opening of a new account, I think the only thing that can stop me being awarded SDP is the underlying entitlement to CA that my parent gets for me but I've heard from multiple sources that it needs to be the FULL award of CA not just underlying entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Beddz View Post
    I think the only thing that can stop me being awarded SDP is the underlying entitlement to CA that my parent gets for me but I've heard from multiple sources that it needs to be the FULL award of CA not just underlying entitlement.
    I believe that's right; as long as the carer is not claiming Universal Credit.

From: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-ad...rers-allowance
    If you aren’t getting Universal Credit and just receive the ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance then the person you are looking after will not lose their severe disability premium (or addition). However if you are getting Universal Credit and aren’t being paid Carer’s Allowance but get the carer element in your Universal Credit award then the person you are looking after will lose their severe disability premium (or addition)
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Sorry for the delay.

From what you have said above, (and assuming that you don't/didn't have savings or other income and nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you), then I calculate the backpay of SDP you should be due is:

Sep 2016 to Apr 2017 29 weeks x £61.85 = £1793.65
    Apr 2017 to Apr 2018 52 weeks x £62.45 = £3247.40
    Apr 2018 to Apr 2019 52 weeks x £64.30 = £3343.60

Total backpay due Sep 2015 to Apr 2019 = £8,384.65

There will also be a bit more due from April 2019 to whenever it is paid at £65.85 a week.

And of course you will get that extra £65.85 a week SDP ongoing.

The backpay will be disregarded (it won't affect your current benefits) for 52 weeks from when you get it.
    After the 52 weeks then any left over £6,000 will reduce your ESA by £1 for every £250 (or part of £250) over £6,000.

I always advise that if you get a large amount of benefit backpay that you open a new account to put it in.
    That way it's kept seperate from your other money so it's clear that it is the disregarded backpay and not general savings.
    I've seen on some other forum posts that once it's with a decision maker they have 6 days to make a decision is that right? Also they surely won't ask for evidence to prove my ESA or PIP when I've been on both continuously 2013/2014. But obviously my parents AA is the reason I'll even get accepted if I do.
    Last edited by Beddz; 05-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Decision makers can take as long as they like/need.
    There is no law holding them to a timetable.

Just received a phone call from the DWP DM awared SDP from 2016-29th May 2019 backpay in the region of £8900 which seem's little high. She did have to do some digging around because there systems were showing I was only entitled from 2018, glad its sorted now thanks Nukecad
    Last edited by Beddz; 05-28-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beddz View Post
    They originally sent me a form out through the post a couple of weeks ago which I ignored, I thought I wasn't eligible for it ....
    Bet you're glad now that you didn't ignore it altogether.

The region of £8,900 is about right.

From the 8th of April to today is 7 weeks, multiplied by £65.89 = £460.95.
    Add that to the £8,384.65 we calculated before and it's £8,845.65.
    (if they've calculated it to next week then it's £8,911.45).

You will now also get that extra £65.89 added to your ESA every week.
    It may not be in your next payment, depending on when they have calculated the backpay to, but should be in the one after that.
    The backpay will be paid seperately, and may be made in 2 or 3 installments, keep an eye on your bank account.

Enjoy spending it, and remember what I said above about the backpay:

Last edited by nukecad; 05-28-2019 at 02:36 PM.