Thread: Blind & PIP Activity Questions

Blind & PIP Activity Questions

Hi all, new to the forum and hoping for some advice.

Born with congenital eye conditions, registered blind, counting fingers in left eye but nothing in the other due to central corneal thickness (associated keratopathy). Currently on indefinite (Middle Care, Higher Mobility) DLA, now to PIP which I've been dreading for a long time.

First, could I please ask for your thoughts based on your experience with PIP on two daily living activities.

Activity 5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence. Does the DWP definition of “managing toilet needs” accommodate the needs of people with little or no sight who experience difficulties safely and independently locating toilets outside their own home?

Being honest then I don't have any incontinence problems and at home in our own house, I'm most of the time okay, hey I could probably even navigate there with a blind fold having 30 years of expereince, I know where it is, seat, paper, taps etc. But outside is a completely different ball game. Because I cannot independently locate a toilet without asking for help from a stranger, I can't read the signs, I can't be sure it's male / female, can't be sure the toilet cubicle is clean, locate the basin, detect whether there is enough toilet roll and whether the floor is slippery or has been washed etc etc etc and would probably just restrict the activities out of fear. Yet, will the DWP even consider that as managing toilet needs?

The other question relates to....

Activity 8: Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words.

Now we have found the legal tests are: Needs to use an aid or appliance, other than spectacles or contact lenses, to be able to read or understand either basic or complex written information. Points: 2 AND Cannot read or understand signs, symbols or words at all Points: 8

- What is the clarification standard text size?
    - Could anybody confirm if someone would qualify for 8 points under descriptor 'e' if they are able to use an aid or appliance at home to enable them to read text, but when out of the home would be unable to read signs or symbols at all. Clearly it would be impractical and in many cases ineffective for individuals to take low visions aids like video magnifiers with them as a means of reading signs, symbols and words outside the home, but I know the DWP are not a practical bunch.

The reason i ask these questions in relation to reading is because if the text was large print and on a white background I'd be able to read it at home using my prescribed x10 magnifer with led light or alternativly if smaller text use my specailisst software eqiuprment like Zoom Ex by AbiSee which brand new was in the range of £1k. Yet, depending on the item I probably wouldn't be able to read instructions for medications, obviously the tv EPG etc indoors. And going outside, I wouldn't be able to read bus electronic timetable, street names, road signs, bus stop signs, exit signs, toliet signs etc etc. So where does it end? Where is the balance?

I'm very confused on this and wondering if anybody could help clairfy the actual nitty details.

I take my hat off for all your kind and lovely folk on this forum, and to alll of you whom have already had to go through this PIP nightmare.

Hoping anybody can help here.

Thanks, Kenny

I can't help with the specifics for you, but the RNIB have a PIP toolkit on their web site to help you in completing your PIP application: https://www.rnib.org.uk/personal-ind...ayment-toolkit

Just found the definition for "managing toilet needs" and it looks like it wouldn't apply to you:

For the purpose of personal independence payment (PIP), the law states that “toilet needs” means:

(a) getting on and off an unadapted toilet;
    (b) evacuating the bladder and bowel; and
    (c) cleaning oneself afterwards;
    Last edited by noisynoodle; 05-25-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks for your reply noisynoodle. The RNIB toolkit has been very helpful.

I think you're right with the definition for "managing toilet needs" and it still stands that the DWP are not interested in the difficulties we have getting to the bathroom which is disapointing. This is a major shortcoming in my opinon, but I guess that's just PIP in general.

Thanks anyway for your response.

It's similar in a way for me - I need help to get up/down the stairs to the toilet, but they said getting there doesn't count, only actually using the toilet.

Hi Kenny

I am registered blind/severly sighted in both eyes which is a bit different to you but this is a direct quote from the award letter i received from DWP.

Managing toilet needs or incontinence

You need supervision or prompting from another person to manage your toilet needs. This gives you a score of 2.

All the best with the PIP claim
    Scotty
    Last edited by Scotty1; 05-29-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty1 View Post
    Hi Kenny

I am registered blind/severly sighted in both eyes which is a bit different to you but this is a direct quote from the award letter i received from DWP.

Managing toilet needs or incontinence

You need supervision or prompting from another person to manage your toilet needs. This gives you a score of 2.

All the best with the PIP claim
    Scotty
    Thanks Scotty, that's promising know. I presume that's for manual assistance/supervision around doing the toilet / cleaning up than my original post in relation to getting to the toliet outside?

Thanks again.

Quote from award letter.

Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words.

You can’t read or understand signs, symbols or words at all. This gives you a score of 8
    Last edited by Scotty1; 05-29-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Hi folks. Quick update to my thread here for all.

“We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 6 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed.”

So I can only assume now they did receive everything and perhaps we provided sufficient information. I want to think positive however I can’t deny that I’m still very anxious and worried because I was just expecting next step to be a face to face assessment similar to ESA in 2013.

Fingers crossed, touch wood it’s a good sign but now it’s the dreaded waiting game.
    Last edited by kenny83; 07-18-2019 at 09:23 AM.

It can happen that if they believe your evidence is strong enough a decision can be made without a face-to-face. Good luck!